Dell 2408 SD Ports

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wingnut330, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

I have a Dell 24008WFP connected to my MBP. It looks great, but I'm curious how to get the ports on the side of the monitor to work. I want to use the SD Card drive on the side, but when I insert my SD card, it doesn't work. Any ideas?

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

3. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Doesn't require a USB cable. I should just be able to put the card into the monitor and it should read the slot.

Oh wait....are you suggesting that I need to connect more than just the regular monitor cable. In other words, connect the usb cable to the monitor and laptop as well as the DVi cable?

I assumed that the DVI connection would handle both.

4. Angrist macrumors 6502

Yea, you need to run a USB cable from the monitor to the computer. That'll allow you to use the SD slots, and the USB hub on the monitor.

DVI doesn't carry any input signals ... that was the old ADC interface.

5. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That did the trick! I guess I should have read the instructions better. Once I re-read them it specifically called that out.

Thanks for the help!

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

hehe… it always helps to:

RTFM!!

:D:D

7. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's funny - I almost added that acronym to my post earlier. I tell my dad that all of the time. He used to call me when I was in college and ask me questions about his computer. I would tell him to RTFM. This was about 12 years ago and he was completely clueless. He's pretty good with a PC now - but it was painful for a while!

I wasn't sure if anyone else would know what RTFM meant, so I didn't.

Anyway, you post made me chuckle.

PS: Don't tell my dad I didn't RTFM!!!

8. matperk macrumors 6502

I wonder if the card and/or cardslot is SDHC (SD high capacity). IIRC, SDHC cards cannot be read in early SD readers.

9. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes it does. I just tested it with an 8GB Extreme III SD Card.

10. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

You're thinking about ADC (Apple Display Connection), which handled DVI, USB, and Power in 1 cord. :cool:

11. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea - that would be nice, but I'll deal with 2 cables and enjoy the new 50mm camera lens I bought with the left over $! :p

12. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

Glad you got it working.

What are your impressions of the monitor?

13. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like it alot. I'm an average home user and budding photographer. I'm likely not as picky as some others around here, but for the money it's a great monitor. I'm very happy with it.

If you are on the fence, I say save the $ and go Dell.

14. neel macrumors newbie

I have the same monitor, and I would also like to use it as an sd reader (because my camera has a special proprietary cable used to connect to computers, and I don't have that cable with me).

I plugged the squareish male-end of the usb cable into the port that is to the left of the bottom of the monitor, and plugged the other end into my laptop. Unfortunately, my computer did not really do anything. I tried reinserting the cables as well as the card, Ive tried turning on a video input source, but my computer just doesn't see it. Should I be using another port? Thanks for the help. The thick ass book that came with it is basically the warranty in 20 different languages.