Dell 2408 wfp user question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Centris610, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Centris610 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just received my Dell 2408 monitor yesterday. As some people in this forum mentioned, the colors in wide gamut are very saturated. In my case sRGB doesn't look right either, too de-saturated. I plan to get Spyder Pro3 but if this saturation problem isn't fixable with calibrator, I might have to return this.

Can you guys tell me about your experience and let me know what you did to fix this problem? Thank you!

2. Centris610 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. chinarider macrumors regular

How did it go with the Spyder?

These monitors have awesome reviews and I am looking at one myself.

4. Centris610 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't even try with Spyder. I read from this forum that the saturation didn't go away even after the hardware calibration. The monitor itself was great. Well built with many options. I didn't want to return it, but it wasn't good enough for my design work. If you don't do much design work, I think it's a good buy.

5. errdee macrumors newbie

i had to return my dell 2408 too, way too oversaturated, and IMO the talk about "profile and calibrate it!" is BS. you can calibrate a monitor to get from reasonable to good, but there is no point, if you can only get from bad to not so bad.

what im wondering now is which display do people choose after returning the 2408WFP

6. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Well, there are several choices, especially if the main focus is for color use. The monitors I've been researching are the NEC 2490 (A-TW-IPS), Lacie 324 (S-PVA), HP LP2465 (S-PVA), and Dell 2408 (S-PVA). The list is in order of price from the most expensive to the least; the range is $600-$1000.

I've not had visibility to the NEC or the HP, but I have finally seen the Lacie and the Dell. Calibrated, the Dell was very good as was the Lacie. Since most of my work will be rudimentary graphic design and video editing, either monitor seems to work well. Marketing and buzz re: the NEC and the HP seems positive, although they are billed more as an "office" monitor. Having not seen either, my choices had whittled down to the Lacie and the Dell.

After much deliberation, I've decided to go with the Lacie. I should have it at my doorstep in a week. Review pending ;)

7. errdee macrumors newbie

in the end i settled for EIZO FlexScan S2431 , and it is really good so far. Also wide gamut like Dell 2408, but has no oversaturation issues, calibrates well, has a really wide brightness-colors-contrast variety.

For LaCie, i've had recommendations to buy NEC instead. Lacie uses same panels as NEC and just adds the sticker, they say..

8. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

The EIZO's nice. FYI, the Lacie uses a PVA panel while the NEC uses an IPS panel.

9. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

After calibrating my 2408FPW, I am quite pleased with how it looks in Adobe RGB. I don't require maximum color accuracy, but neither would I accept maximum color inaccuracy, either. My reds remain the strongest color, I admit, but they don't glow with a million candlepower like when I first turned it on.