Dell 2408FPW Promotions in Canada?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ksavorate, May 4, 2009.

1. ksavorate macrumors newbie

ksavorate

Hello,
    I am interested in getting the Dell 2408WFP monitor for my MacBook Pro.
    I noticed that the price was $599 for a while and then went up to $699.
    However, sometimes, the monitor goes on a special promotion (usually for a day) and the
    price drops to about $429 or $499.

Do you know how often this happens?

Thanks!

P.S. I live in Canada, so I'm looking at the Canadian store:

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....Dell's monitors (and other stuff) get discounted so frequently either directly on their site or via coupon codes and there really is no set period for when or how long the sales last. They are frequent enough though that paying the "normal" price is highly unadvisable....oh yeah!

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

The Dell sales change I think every two weeks on average...but they do have really random one day sales or weekend sales from time to time.

I got my Dell 2709W for half off on a one day sale a couple weeks ago. So just wait and keep checking the site often.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You is back?! :eek:

5. ksavorate thread starter macrumors newbie

ksavorate

It's my homepage...I'm still waiting for it to drop!

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Haha! That's actually a good idea, I didn't even think of that. Mine was pure luck, since I had JUST decided that I was going to get a monitor, and was ready to pay the normal $999 price with a 10% coupon, but then I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it for $550!

Also, make sure you check the Small Business section too, because sometimes they have different sales than the Home section. I got mine from the Small Business section.

7. n00bmuffin macrumors newbie

8. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Too bad NONE of those are better than the Dell, unless all you do is game. But if you care at all about color reproduction and "same as print" color, then none of those you suggested would fit the bill since they all use TN panels.

9. ksavorate thread starter macrumors newbie

ksavorate

Where did you get the 10% coupon?
    Oh and thanks for the Small Business tip, I'll check there!

10. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

There are several bargain sites that often post coupon codes. I like techbargains.com. They even have a link at the top for Dell coupons. I will also vouch for the Small Business tip. I bought my 2209WA monitor through the Small Business section, and they will send me sales that aren't showing up on other sites.

11. ksavorate thread starter macrumors newbie

ksavorate

Hmm, the price is the same on the Small Business site.
    I guess I'll just have to wait it out. :(

12. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Well the easiest way to get a 10% coupon (I think) that actually works is to sign up for the Small Business section, and then they will email you one. That's how I got mine. But that other poster is right, many sites have coupons you can just google Dell coupons and should find some.

13. ksavorate thread starter macrumors newbie

ksavorate

14. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I'm looking for one too. Did you mention you've seen the price drop below $599 before on this model?

15. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

That's the key right there - TN. I can't stand it. I have some (classic) 2005FPW S-IPS Panels here at home and love that colors don't change when I move. But at work I can't convince the boss to buy anything decent so I'm stuck on fuzzier, whacked color cheap TN monitors. I suffer through it okay, but hate it when what I think is a light brown, but they see a pasty yellow... I guess I should learn my hex codes better and add them to my swatch window.

If you're gonna spend some cash, make sure it's S-IPS or H-IPS... everything else is junk. They are worth the extra expense. Others will tout the contrast ratio an the inches, but that's like megapixels and optical zoom on a camera.

16. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I would have to disagree with that bolded part. PVA panels are almost just as good as IPS for color work. I have a Dell 2709W which has a S-PVA and it gives me print accurate colors, after calibration of course. The problem with IPS panels is the response time, fast paced movies/games usually don't look that great. I messed around with my friend's 23" ACD and while it looked AWESOME for photoshop and general stuff, movies suffered from ghosting a bit, and games...forget about it.