Dell 2408WFP for Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kdimitt, Feb 28, 2009.

1. kdimitt macrumors member

I own a macbook (october 2007 model) and I am really looking at a 24" monitor. From what I have seen the 2408 is basically the best you can get for an all around use 24" monitor. $500 dollars doesn't concern me but what does is the calibration problems that I have read. I would be using this for general use (email, web use, movies) but also some video/photo editing and some gaming. The response time is fine but I'm kind of a stickler on color. Im more then willing to shell out some money for calibration materials (because I will regardless of what I get) but I don't want to spend a bunch more money and get a bad result. So to anyone with experience with this monitor, is this right for me? If not, which monitor should I lean towards? Thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes that monitor is a great choice; I would get it refurbished if possible and get the 4 year Advanced Exchange warranty. If you need to calibrate it, a hardware calibrator like a Pantone Huey would be a great choice.

3. kdimitt thread starter macrumors member

Where at?

Thanks! If I were to get a refurbished one with a 4 year warranty will that be about the same price as a new one or are you sure how much? Would that be best done at a store like best buy or some online retailer?

4. petemwah macrumors regular

it's a good monitor, i bought it myself. nice design, fabulous quality, sturdy, but i sent mine back!

the bad thing about it yousee is that the input lag is very high, this makes it harder to play some games on it, especially if you plan to plug a nintendo wii into it...

i bought a BenQ FP241VW in the end, and absolutely love it!

just some advice x

5. kdimitt thread starter macrumors member

The response time is 6ms opposed to the Dell's 5ms, I don't doubt your opinion but I was just wondering. Shouldn't there be more lag on this monitor than the Dell. I'm not a professional but isn't the response time the concern when dealing with input lag?

6. petemwah macrumors regular

you're right, response time can have a big effect on the input lag of the monitor, but the dell suffers (unfortunately) from a high input lag, see here or here for info about it x

7. kdimitt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Those forums were actually very helpful. I don't know if you used any gaming consoles with your monitors but I will be using it to hook up to my macbook and my xbox 360 (hopefully), but with what you know do you think that I would be better off cashing out the extra 100 or so for the BenQ? Is there any calibration problems with that one as well?

8. kdimitt thread starter macrumors member

Are you familiar with the BenQ V2400W? It's cheaper and seems to do the job as well.