Dell 2412m or 2312hm?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by karatekidk, Dec 31, 2011.

1. karatekidk macrumors regular

They are the ones I am looking at for my friend. Is anyone using one of those Dell monitors? I would love to know your set up and know if it works well with Lion.

I'd appreciate your suggestions for the alternative, too.

Thank you!

2. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe it wasn't a good idea to post something and ask suggestions on New Years Eve... Still hoping to get some input here.

Thanks all, and Happy New Year.

3. radicalcentrist macrumors member

there's one sitting in my office right now....

I have the 23 sitting in my office in its box right now; I haven't had time to take it out and give it a spin yet...

4. bastisk8 macrumors newbie

I`ve got the predecessor of the u2312hm, the Dell u2311hm.
    Considering the price, its a fantastic screen so i guess you can`t go wrong with the 2312 as picture quality is on pair according to several tests.
    Only major difference is LED-Backlit instead of CCFL.

5. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for some posts.

Radicalcentrist, I'd love to hear your experience with the 2312hm once you hook your computer up to it.

Bastisk8, sounds like you like your setup. What OS does your computer have? Also, I want to know what kind of adapter you are using.

I think I saw several threads about Dell monitors not working properly with Lion, and that's the main concern. I just don't want to recommend something to my friend that doesn't work.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1022386

Thank you!

6. bastisk8 macrumors newbie

I`m on Lion and Windows 7, both operating systems work great with the screen. Also tried an old Macbook with Snow Leopard once, no problems either.
    To connect the monitor, I`m using a miniDP to DVI adaper and an additional USB cable to use the built in USB-Hub that connects to my keyboard and mouse.

7. radicalcentrist macrumors member

Hmmm....I didn't realize another USB cable was needed, although that makes sense. Is it just a standard male-male cable?

I'll see if I can pull it out this morning...

8. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. I have a late 2009 Mac Mini (2.53ghz on Snow Leopard) connected to a Dell 2209WA (discontinued) using the same adapter. With a bluetooth keyboard and a mouse, everything's been working just fine.

9. radicalcentrist macrumors member

quick test

So I just pulled out the 23 out of the box to check it. I didn't think to try plugging in a keyboard or trackpad/mouse, but using a 2010 13" MBA connected via a monoprice mini-displayport to display port cable, it worked instantaneously.

Please pardon the fact that it was set up in my kitchen; it was the closest open horizontal space with handy outlets (the monitor is for one of my employees; I just haven't taken it into the office yet).

[​IMG]

----------

If anything, I'm regretting not buying a bigger one!

(But I'm used to my primary, which is a 27" iMac).

10. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome!! Now, Radical, can you make it work in clamshell (your computer display closed) mode? I hope it does. Please let me know.

11. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

I don't really know the Dell range intimately, so don't know how this relates (if at all) to the models you are asking about, but I have been using the Dell ST2320 23" HD widescreen monitor hooked up with a mac mini ultimate for a couple of months now and I have to say I am very happy with it.

12. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

Well, the main difference is the U2312 is a 23" 16:9 monitor, while the U2412 is a 24" 16:10 monitor. I don't recall if one panel supports above 6bit, or even 6bit+FRC or not.

13. radicalcentrist macrumors member

Damn. I just boxed it all back up. If the Dell itself is causing the clamshell problem, that's definitely an annoyance, but I've used multiple 13" MBAs (and a 2009 15" MBP) in clamshell mode with several different Samsung, LG and Vizio TVs via HDMI.

14. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

I have the 2412m hooked up to my mini via Displayport and it looks awesome and works flawlessly. The control buttons and on-screen display are pretty nice too. If you have a specific question or want me to test something, I'll oblige if I can.

15. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Wait, so if I understood correctly, you are saying your Dell didn't work in clamshell mode? That would be a real bummer.

----------

Pharmscott, thanks. Is your computer on Lion? Would you confirm your 2412m works fine in clamshell mode?

16. psxguru macrumors 6502a

I've got a 23112HM and it works fine in clamshell mode with my MBA.

The only thing I don't like about this monitor is Dell's overly aggressive anti glare finish, it takes some getting used to if you're used to glossy displays. Also I would crank up the default sharpness but that's personal preference.

17. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, and that's really good to know! I prefer matte, but I know many ppl like glossy better.

18. radicalcentrist, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

radicalcentrist macrumors member

No, I was saying that IF that was the issue you were trying to test, that it would be frustrating (and random) for clamshell not to work.

So, no, I didn't test it with the Dell, but my MBA is a little slutty, in that I've plugged into a myriad of hotel room HDTVs to watch shows while traveling for work. I've never had a problem at all.

19. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

My bad. I misunderstood what you said. I year ya, and I just want to make sure if the stuff work flawlessly with Lion in clamshell mode because I've liked my experience with Dell monitor and would like my friend to have the same experience.

20. Pharmscott, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

I usually use my Dell monitor on my Mac Mini. But, I just now plugged my 2412m into my MacBook Pro and tested it in clamshell mode (just for you) and it worked just fine. Seeing the two screens side-by-side reminded me how beautiful the 2412 is. You'll love it.

Edit: Yes, both machines are running Lion; one native, one upgraded from SL.

21. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Fantastic! Thanks much for your time!