Dell 27", Apple LED 27" or used Apple 30"?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sadcaper, Mar 21, 2014.

1. sadcaper macrumors member

Need to buy a monitor in the next week as I will be working from home for the next year. I'm kind of down to these three monitors as my choice. I could look at the Monoprice 27" or 30" as well, but I'm worried about their quality.

I'm not doing graphics work, but instead just boring IT work. So super accurate color representation isn't a big deal.

Dell is the cheapest and has generally great reviews, but something bugs me about buying a Dell. Call me a snob I guess. :eek: The price is right though around $500. Does have a couple USB 3.0 ports as well.

The 27" Apple display would be perfect since I have a 15" Macbook Pro to hook it up to. The extra connections would really come in handy. However, it's really old and a refresh is coming up I'm sure. However I can't wait and need to buy now. Also this is the most expensive by far. Can almost get a refurbished 27" iMac for the price of a new one. Ugh.

I found a used 30" display locally for $600, but I would have to buy the dual link DVI adaptor so really it's $700. I like the idea of this monitor (matte screen, bigger, etc), but it's also 4 years old and no warranty at all obviously.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

ATD either refurbed or get someone with an ed discount to purchase a new one for you. Ideally do the deal on tax free weekend.....but that is usually at the end of summer.

3. Chancha macrumors 6502

We cannot tell which specific models you are talking about without numbers, as a 27" screen can sometime only have HD resolution of 1920x1080. Since you have no need of color accuracy, but do IT stuff which I imagine may include coding, there the 2560x1440 resolution at this screen real estate is a must. For this I would say getting a Dell U2713HM is the way to go, it has displayport which your MBP's mini displayport can drive (the Thunderbolt port), and has a generally okay quality for its price class. It also use the same LG panel found in the Apple Thundebolt display.

Like you say, the Apple one is obviously due an update any time now, so unless you can find a good deal from someone 2nd hand, or a much discounted refurb somewhere, I would not recommend this. The only sense to get it now is if you prioritize the TB hub + power cord simplicity above all else, and you need such a monitor solution now that you can't wait.

4. sadcaper thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I was looking at the WQHD resolution monitors. So that would be the newest iteration of all of these monitors...except for the 30" ACD which I've ruled out already.

So basically the Dell is the better buy, but the Apple may be the better solution for a laptop with all the ports. However, it's long in the tooth.

Need to find a good deal on the ATD and call it a day. If not, Dell it is.

Thanks!

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

$799 for refurb ATD seems like a good buy

6. sadcaper thread starter macrumors member

Agreed but the one currently listed doesn't appear to be the newest one with the ethernet port, etc. All it has are USB ports, or so it seems from the pictures and descriptions.

7. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Sign up here http://www.refurb.me/us/ will notify you when back in stock, usually every week or so

8. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I'd definitely go with the ATD as its the best display on the market and is infinitely better than the Dell. Dell displays have a bad reputation for backlight bleed and colors lacking in uniformity.

9. Chancha macrumors 6502

While it is arguably true that the ATD is a better product than the Dell U2713HM in this context, but it is hardly the case that "ATD is the best display on the market". For colour gamut, calibrating capability, utilising multiple sources for the display etc, Apple stops at a point where their average customer would care to see, as this target audience probably only uses the ATD for Macs exclusively, and often a single Mac. Check out Ezio's ColorEdge or NEC's Spectraview to get an idea of what's "best on the market", and this is not even considering the industrial / medical grade monitors out there.

But you are right about Dell's backlight bleed problems though, something I forgot to warn when I recommended the Dell 27". But IMO at that price, the bleeding is probably acceptable, and it is not like the ATD does not have lemons that also bleed (to a much lesser degree of course).

10. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

I had 2 thunderbolt displays hooked up to a new iMac 27" and tried it for 1 day before changing back to my older Mac Pro - Apple 30" ACDs configuration. No comparison, 30s rule.