Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
is it compatible with it? can i connect two dell 2707wfp's to a mac pro? can i connect one of these, and one apple monitor?? how does it compare to apple's cinema displays, and which is worth more value.

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
Both the Apple Displays and Dell Displays use DVI connections, which will hook up to the back of a Mac Pro. Mac Pro's have two DVI connections on their video cards, so yes you can hook up two.

Apple and Dell displays both use the same Samsung panel internals, the only difference in them are the backlights, whatever extras ports they have, and the encasing. I'm not completely sure but the color profiler might also be different, not sure if that's part of the panel or separate. Honestly the Dell gets better reviews all around, so I don't see any reason to get the Apple display (unless you can get it ridiculously cheap).

In b4 ACD zealots come try to tell me I'm wrong.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
Wrong

Both the Apple Displays and Dell Displays use DVI connections, which will hook up to the back of a Mac Pro. Mac Pro's have two DVI connections on their video cards, so yes you can hook up two.

Apple and Dell displays both use the same Samsung panel internals, the only difference in them are the backlights, whatever extras ports they have, and the encasing. I'm not completely sure but the color profiler might also be different, not sure if that's part of the panel or separate. Honestly the Dell gets better reviews all around, so I don't see any reason to get the Apple display (unless you can get it ridiculously cheap).

In b4 ACD zealots come try to tell me I'm wrong.

Wrong, Wrong Wrong:
http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2961&p=2

The Dell uses a PVA panel, the Apple uses an S-IPS for sure.

S-IPS is know for more color accuracy and consistency.

Also, Apple monitors have LUTs (color look tables) that are calibrated to display SWOP color Gamuts from the factory.

If you need accuracy, consistency and certification for Print Photo and Design work, the Apple is superior.

If you want a panel for Video, Games, General Use, then the Dell is a bit cheaper and has more features.

I know many Photo and Graphic Artists (my included) who have worked for thousands of hours on both -- Our reviews come to this conclusion: ACD's are better than Dell's when Color Accuracy for Print or Photo Reproduction is important. Don't pay attention to "consumer" reviews if you need color accuracy for your work. There are better monitors than the Apple such as EIZO's, NEC's, etc, but they cost more.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Apple and Dell displays both use the same Samsung panel internals

The only instance in which an Apple and Dell monitor had the same internals was the Dell 2007wfp (which has since been replaced by the 2008wfp, which uses an inferior panel). The 20" ACD and the 2007wfp (at least the early ones; in later production runs they started sticking PVA panels in them) both used an LG S-IPS panel. I have both a 2007wfp (with the LG panel) and a 20" ACD, and I do graphic design work... I can verify that those two models are pretty much no different in display quality. However, that and the 3007wfp are the only monitor sI'm aware of that ever shared a panel with Apple, and Dell doesn't even make the 20" any more. Most of Dell's monitors are quite nice and are usually good values, but very picky graphics professionals probably need to stick with Apple.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
That is an awesome site, I've never seen that before. Thanks! Makes it really easy to find S-IPS monitors.

Wow, thanks for sharing that database -- I thought I had a good one, but the one you just shared takes the cake, so to speak.

Good to see education on monitors and how ACD's stack up.

I have been watching people bash the ACD for years due to inferior or substandard knowledge -- to qualify my statement -- this in regards to print design, photography, prepress and some video.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Most of Dell's monitors are quite nice and are usually good values, but very picky graphics professionals probably need to stick with Apple.

This picky graphics amateur couldn't justify buying an Eizo so opted for a 23" ACD instead. ;)

FWIW, the 30" Dell and 30" Apple appear to have the same panel.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
editing photos

If you're planning on being serious about it, make sure you include room in your budget for a colorimeter and color calibration software.

FWIW, I've been waffling on buying an external monitor for use with my MBP for several months. I have an older 19" Dell LCD that I've been using and it hasn't been very satisfactory. The reviews on the Dell 24" display aren't too promising, and I can't justify spending $1700 for an Eizo display, so I opted for the 23" Apple panel. It's presently en route to me with delivery scheduled for Wednesday. I also ordered an X-Rite colorimeter and calibration software package. I have used an X-Rite device in the past and they've since merged with Gretag-Macbeth, one of the other big players in this space. Colorvision is probably the other company to consider if your budget is at the consumer level.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
This picky graphics amateur couldn't justify buying an Eizo so opted for a 23" ACD instead. ;)

FWIW, the 30" Dell and 30" Apple appear to have the same panel.

Yes they do, but the ACD internal video controller card and lookup tables are both calibrated and certified to SWOP standards -- the Dell is not.:eek:

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
If you're planning on being serious about it, make sure you include room in your budget for a colorimeter and color calibration software.

FWIW, I've been waffling on buying an external monitor for use with my MBP for several months. I have an older 19" Dell LCD that I've been using and it hasn't been very satisfactory. The reviews on the Dell 24" display aren't too promising, and I can't justify spending $1700 for an Eizo display, so I opted for the 23" Apple panel. It's presently en route to me with delivery scheduled for Wednesday. I also ordered an X-Rite colorimeter and calibration software package. I have used an X-Rite device in the past and they've since merged with Gretag-Macbeth, one of the other big players in this space. Colorvision is probably the other company to consider if your budget is at the consumer level.

My brother just started his own Photo studio after 18 years of working for others as a Newspaper Photo Editor and Freelancer and he just order this setup -- He didn't want to spend the cash but 6 days later is thrilled he did.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006

True, but know this: if you don't have the cash right now for a colorimeter and calibrator the ACD's are SWOP calibrated at the factory and certified as such. This is no small deal for helping to represent a CMYK gamut on the monitor.

I have 2 ACD, both calibrated with a colorimeter/software -- accuracy and consistency certainly improves, especially given lighting conditions. However a new ACD is pretty darn close.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
My brother just started his own Photo studio after 18 years of working for others as a Newspaper Photo Editor and Freelancer and he just order this setup -- He didn't want to spend the cash but 6 days later is thrilled he did.

Which, the ACD, or the Eizo? Or the ACD plus the X-Rite bundle?

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
ACD 23 plus the x-Rite.

Ahh, cool. The X-Rite bundle is new. They didn't have a package that would profile printers at the $500 price point previously - more like $800 or so. $800 is a bit on the spendy side for this amateur. I'm glad to hear it's meeting your brother's expectations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.