dell 2709 or 24" ACD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hooly, May 10, 2009.

1. hooly macrumors regular

hooly

I am interested in getting either the dell 2709W or the 24" LED cinema display.

2709W Pros:

Bigger screen
    Cheaper
    Seems to get good reviews

24" ACD Pros:
    USB ports and iSight
    Looks cooler (IMO)

24" cons:
    More expsensive
    Smaller

What do you reckon?

2. Eyedn macrumors regular

3. hooly thread starter macrumors regular

hooly

thanks. I should have mentioned I have an 'old' MBP so have a dvi port; not such easy docking but I do like the idea of the USB ports for my external drives etc...

4. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

then the 24" LED Cinema Display is a no-go unless you have a mini displayport

5. hooly thread starter macrumors regular

hooly

6. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Go with the Dell... Unless you have the extra cash, why waste it on the ACD?

Unless of course, you want the bragging rights and cool factor. :cool:

7. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

No the dvi adapter is mini display port to dvi, not dvi to mini display port. The ports will not fit, so that is a no-go. I recommend one of the Dells with the USB hub, camera, and microphone if that is what you really want from your monitor.

8. hooly thread starter macrumors regular

hooly

9. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The Dell is still easy to dock. Just plug in the dvi and then plug in the usb cable. You can hook your keyboard and mouse to the bottom of the display. I do this all the time although its even easier if you have hdmi like my laptop.

10. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

A bigger screen actually doesn't mean you will get more real estate...

Both of those screens have the same resolution. Things will only looking bigger on the Dell since the pixel pitch is higher.

On that note. I own a Dell 2709w and am very happy with it. I use it as an all in one type monitor for my macbook as well as for my PS3.

What I suggest is to determine what you are going to use the monitor for. If it is just for your macbook...then the ACD is the best option, and is actually a good price for what you are getting, although you can't even use it since you don't have mini displayport, so you would have to go with an older ACD. If you want something that has a lot of inputs for a game console or a dvd/blu-ray player or something, go with the Dell.

11. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I had a similar option not too long ago - had to choose between the 24" Cinema Display and the 2408WFP. The price for the Cinema Display was too high, so I even looked at a 21" one compared with the 2408WFP...and the price difference was still huge!

So, I ended up getting the 2408WFP. No regrets at all. Saved 400 bucks.