Dell 530S -- The Ultimate Sin

Discussion in 'macOS' started by phasornc, May 9, 2008.

1. phasornc macrumors member

First off I must declare my Apple stats: My first Apple was an Apple IIe in 4th grade, I even took that thing to college my first year, since then I have owned a powerbook duo 210, powermac 7500, power computing powercenterpro 210, rev 2 BW G3, Dual 1.25 MDD G4 and currently a 1.8 MBP. Also I'm the it manager of an office with 30 macs.

Here is my confession . . .

Almost 2 years ago I built a Pentium D based Hackintosh on an office Intel motherboard that was essentially the same as the intel mini, complete with 950 graphics. That machine boots in 20 seconds 10.4.11 and is perfectly silent in its Sonata case. Everything works, ethernet, usb2, firewire, audio. Uphuck distro.

Fast forward to 2 months ago. My families tv died so we decided to update. Got a 50 Samsung L.E.D. projection tv. It's awesome 1920x1080, incredibly energy efficient(more so than cfl based lcds), lightweight and 11 inches deep and 3 HDMI + a vga connector.

So then I couldn't resist I got a Dell Inspiron 530s, with Vista Home Premium (Media Center), 2.2 ghz Core 2 Duo, 500gb sata hd, sata dual-layer DVD burner, and built in SD, SDHC, CF, XD, MS reader for about $460 from the Dell Outlet. Strangely enough this machine allows you wipe the hard drive, reinstall Vista and have Vista up an running with no activation. Are they using tpm? Anyway this was great because I probably installed and reinstalled MacOS and Vista about 20 times in my pursuit of the ultimate boot-camp media center clone.

Any it turned out to be quite simple, used Kalyway 10.5.2, (didn't use vanilla). Since I want a media center I got a low profile Radeon HD2400 with 256 mb ram. This boots at 1024x768 resolution, however the latest ATYinject will get you the full range of resolutions, look for ATIRadeonX2000_Leopard.pkg. The card also has an HDMI port for about $50 bucks. On the windows side it pumps graphics and audio to the TV (which then outputs to my old yet awesome sounding Yamaha ProLogic receiver). For the mac side I need to use the built in audio. Dell uses an ALC888 chip in these systems. If you can find the HDA_ICH9_ALC888.pkg on the web somewhere it will give you two inputs and outputs. You may be able to get all 6 outputs working with the latest taruga patch and linux audio codec dump, but I only needed stereo outputs for my ProLogic system.

The only problem is that sleep and shutdown don't work from the Mac end. Since I remote access my mac all day, I really can't use sleep anyway. But apparently there is a Kernel out there that fixes these problems. I expect some 'teams' will incorporate this into a 10.5.3 installer shortly after 10.5.3 is available.

For dual boot instructions, most of the stuff on the web is overly complex or outdated. Use your OSX86 Leopard disk to partition. Use an MBR partition scheme. I put a MacOS(hfs+) on partition 1 and Vista on 2. Although it really doesn't matter. I then installed Leopard, put in the Vista disk and rebooted. installed Vista to partition 2, but had to reformat the partition during install. Next reboot the darwin bootloader should pickup both partitions and give you 5 seconds to choose either one. Choose Mac, then you'll probably have to boot into single user mode and run an fdisk -u (rebuilt MBR) then reboot before you can get into Mac OS. The reboot to Vista, Vista will probably ask to repair itself, just do what it says, keep your Vista disk around. When you reboot again into Leopard you may have to go into single user mode one more time to do fdisk -u again. Then your done, every time the machine reboots you get 5 seconds to choose mac or vista, by default, it will default to Mac OS. Edit com.apple.boot.plist to change times and default OS.

I also recommend Gyration's Keyboard and gryoscopic mouse combo. For about $50, look around, you can get radio frequency keyboard and mouse with a 30ft (10m) range, and an awesome Nintendo Wii like mouse that you can wave around in the air or use on a flat surface like a normal mouse. Bluetooth will generally s*ck for this application since bluetooth will be of no use at the Darwin Boot prompt, and the Keyboard and or Mouse tend to loose pairing when going back and forth between operating systems(not all the time, but enough to be annoying, especially on the Vista end).

So now you've got enough money left over for a Blue-ray read drive. You can watch blue-ray movies in Vista, use Amazon unboxed, watch Netflix streaming, AND load SuperNES, Atari, Playstation and/or MAME for all your light gaming needs, and you have the graphics horsepower to play Guitar Hero III in either Mac or Vista. You can basically download every SuperNES rom for about 600mb.

Forgive me for I have sinned

2. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

LOL, flagellate yourself with some white Apple firewire cables, and all will be forgiven...

3. err404 macrumors 68020

The mini is almost there, but it's a bit pricey, slow and doesn't have BD.
    If those are requirements, go where the solution is. If Dell offers it, and Apple doesn't... well then Dell deserves the sale.

Frankly I'm not a fan of dual booting. If in this case Windows does everything you need cleaner than OS X (BD playback, proper 5.1 Audio) just stick with Windows.

BTW - Vista will not require activation if it detects the right Dell Bios.

4. phasornc thread starter macrumors member

No way would I "stick with windows". Windows is just for Netflix, Unboxed and Blue-Ray. I much prefer my MacOS. I forgot to mention that I added a second 500gb drive for Time Machine. I love having my music and videos backed up automatically. The Mini just doesn't hack it for three legit reasons:
    1) No Blue-ray (or a very expensive upgrade if and when slot loading blue-ray is available)
    2) Small hd and only one hd. I like having a time machine drive in my computer.
    3) GMA950 graphics. This will choke on 1080p graphics, granted there's not a lot of this stuff, but the Radeon HD2400 handles it with ease

5. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I find it more disturbing you have to apologize to Apple fanboys for using hardware that you like, especially if it's non-Apple branded hardware.