Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cokersa

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Kansas City
Anyone have any success in getting this printer working? I have a Mac Pro which was running Snow Leopard when I installed the printer drivers, and now continues to work fine after I upgraded to Lion. However, my wife has a Macbook Air which came with Lion, and when you try to run the Mac installer from the Dell website, you get a "unsupported version" for Lion.

On a Dell support site, someone said that Dell would eventually support drivers for Lion, but that they aren't available yet (hard to believe since Lion has been out for six months). Someone else suggested using Lexmark printer drivers (since apparently Lexmark makes the 715w for Dell), but I haven't been able to find a version that works.

Is there a way to manually copy the drivers from my Mac Pro to my wife's MBA? Or something else that might work?

Thanks!

rocket9005

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
New Milford, CT
How do you connect to this printer, USB, wired Ethernet or wireless ?

If you are connecting via the first 2 you can use the "generic PCL" driver. This will get you printing. I had to do this with a 8 yr old HP printer that was supported in leopard, but was not in snow leopard.

I don't have any wireless printers here now, but as long as they are on the same network, (enter the ssid and password on the printer's control panel) it shouldn't be any different than a wired network.

The scanner is a whole other story ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.