Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
but the normal user experience is not very different to OS X in terms of security prompts.
Except that there are way, way, way way way more of them, and 99% of the time it requires you to confirm the action *twice*. =/ I've also experienced what hircus mentioned about the prompts being stuck in the background until you manually focus them.

I think it's fine for people to stick with XP SP2, at least it's mature. Once Vista SP1 comes out then it should be nice to upgrade.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Except that there are way, way, way way way more of them, and 99% of the time it requires you to confirm the action *twice*. =/ I've also experienced what hircus mentioned about the prompts being stuck in the background until you manually focus them.

Can't say I've seen that so far. Sure it's not a beta issue?

I think it's fine for people to stick with XP SP2, at least it's mature. Once Vista SP1 comes out then it should be nice to upgrade.

No problems with that. But I did say that a lot of home users would be better served under Vista. XP is rock-solid if you know a little about how to look after it but many users don't, as evidenced by many postings from Mac users here for example. Vista makes the whole thing a little less breakable by neophytes especially if someone who knows a bit sets the thing up in the first place, and that's one of the reasons I'd say it's a better bet. In that respect I'd say it gets much closer to Tiger in comparison to XP - although I'd definitely still give the idiot-resistant nod to OS X.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
by summer 2009 XP will of been phased out and business will have to move up to at least vista or face using an unsupported and no more updates to the OS. M$ is dropping all major support for XP in summer of 2009 which is 2 years longer than they originally had plan on even supporting XP.

That part of the reason why business where force to move over to XP. In 2005 all major support for windows 2000 was drop.

From what I have been reading Vista is more of a stop gap to buy them time to get over to something new and is the stepping stone to get there. The only reason I am upgrading my PC to it is I can get Vista Ultimatte for less than 20 bucks though my school and I am also going to be dual booting XP because like hell am I going to give up a known working OS to something that has issues working with all the software out there.

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Like the OSX pulic beta, unusable and kinda off the wall

Vista runs like OSX version 10.0 when it was unusable in a public beta form.

Jim Achin said it best a year ago, "we lost our way." Who will be a good actor for Jim in Pirates II!

I vote, Jon Voight with Angelina using an iphone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.