Dell clones the iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by blacksurfer, Jun 6, 2012.

1. blacksurfer, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

blacksurfer macrumors regular

What do you think of this obvious clone?

[​IMG]

HP, Sony and Toshiba have already outed their new offerings for the back-to-school season, and now Dell is stepping up to the plate with announcements of its own. First up is the XPS One 27 all-in-one. As the name would suggest, it has a 27-inch screen, and the resolution is an impressive 2560 x 1440 pixels. All configurations are going to ship with Ivy Bridge processors (Core i5 or i7) with up to 16GB of memory, and the standard 1TB 7,200RPM hard drive can be swapped out for a 2TB HDD or 32GB SSD. Meanwhile, Waves MaxxAudio 4, Infinity-branded speakers, a Blu-ray drive and optional 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT640M GPU memory (upgradeable from integrated Intel graphics) up this machine's multimedia cred. An optional internal TV tuner will also be offered. Wrapping things up, there are four USB 3.0 sockets, two USB 2.0 ports with power charge, audio out, HDMI, VGA, mic and headphone jacks and an 8-in-1 memory card reader. The XPS One 27 starts at $1,399, and while it's available in Asia starting today, it's not expected to hit the US for a few weeks.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/29/dell-xps-one-27-all-in-one/

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The top photo doesn't look like the other photos.

Looks like it was designed by Kryton or Bizarro.
    [​IMG]

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The bottom photos aren't even of the same machine.

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Can't wait until apple releases a tv. Then suddenly the entire industry will start copying the rectangular device that display a picture.

5. brucethemoose macrumors newbie

Nah, it'll be patented ;)

Seriously though, we will see elements of whatever GUI they use creep into other TVs.

6. New Apple macrumors regular

i honestly dont mind, if i was Cook or a shareholder or a worker yes i would, but i am not, i have nothing to earn, if i trust the clone i buy the clone if i prefer the apple i get the apple, it's a free world and if the owner (apple) thinks someone copied their job, they are free to sue and ask some billions back, it's not my job.

i am at the side of the buyer, whatever is good for me it's fine, i am not owned by a brand, i own the brands i want.

7. Stolz25 macrumors member

I don't see it. It's angled everywhere the iMac is curved, black where it is silver and overall pretty ugly.

Or is it a clone just because it's an all in one?

8. sloncek macrumors newbie

two different photos. two different machines. this is a troll.

9. necromorph macrumors regular

necromorph

SMEG head! God i miss red dwarf ;)

Back on topic though, I personally have never cared what a pc/mac looked like, it is all about productivity. :apple:

10. Duckypoos macrumors member

To the OP ..

does your cooker look the same as any other cooker ? does your fridge look like a fridge ? does your car look like a car ? do you look like another human ? are you going to post pictures of everything in nature, and man made, that look similar ? If so, this is going to be a massive thread ..

Seriously ... Apple did not invent the rectangle, get over it :rolleyes:

11. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I hope Apple copies the XPS hinge (re: imac G4)

12. Fishrrman macrumors G3

With a little tweaking, this will make a great Hackintosh. Looks like some videos and instructions for the process are already "out there"...

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Looks good to me! If I can pick one up for $600 next time I upgrade, I probably will.

14. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

The computer in the top picture looks nice from the front. However, someone could make the most beautiful computer in the world - but if it runs Windows, I don't want it.

15. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Err no. Looked like a lamp.

16. Occamsrazr, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

That looks absolutely hideous.

Does Apple just hire all the good industrial designers and hoard them? I find it hard to believe that no other manufacturer can find someone capable of good design.

Maybe the other companies are just structured such that the engineers can overrule good industrial design with stupid gadgets and features.

17. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I would love it if Apple made the iMac function like the HP Z1. That'd be worth selling my brand spanking new iMac for.

18. blacksurfer thread starter macrumors regular

OP comment: photo fixed. My bad.

----------

Troll? No. Honest mistake. Chill

19. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Ps3 and apple tv seem to have a similar scrolling ui. I believe the ps3 was out there at least 1 day before applebtv

Technology is just like another product, once it's out there others will use it.

20. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I really dislike the Sony UI. It's so forced, and awkward..

Apple TV used to use it as well. Thankfully they've changed it out.

21. cirus macrumors 6502a

Its an All-in-one, what is it supposed to look like?