Dell computers can run OS X?!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GSMiller, Nov 15, 2008.

1. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

No this isn't a hackintosh thread :p

I was watching TV and saw the "Dell Studio 15" commercial, the one with the set of twins sitting on a park bench using Dell notebooks. When it showed what they were doing on the screen I noticed something a bit odd. Not the conveniently placed YouTube plug, but that the system was running OS X (notable by the Aqua scrollbar on the YouTube page).

I know, "it's probably OS X because that's what the ad agency uses" but I just found it ironic that this ad is airing at the same time Microsoft is pouring millions into their own ad campaign to make users "aware" of what they have to offer. If Microsoft wants to really show users what their OS can do, maybe they should get the PC companies to actually show it in use on their systems. :rolleyes::confused:

2. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

haha. i see ads like that all the time. makes me laugh

3. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Well Safari is on PC now. Does Safari use Aqua scroll bars in Windows? I can't remember...

4. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Have you seen that commercial for the program that supposedly makes your (windows) computer faster by editing the registry and cleaning stuff up? I believe it's for fastercomputer.com or something like that, but it's hilarious cause in that commercial they're using a iMac and iBook, I laugh when I see that.

5. GSMiller thread starter macrumors 68000

GSMiller

So it does, very nice.

But what I don't understand is why they would go through the trouble of hiding everything else on the screen.

I was surfing the other night while Knight Rider was on (the new one) and noticed they were using a laptop with the Windows logo meticulously placed on the back, but the screen showed nothing of the sort. That'd be about like Apple paying to have the iPhone used in a show, but the producers use a Slvr with a little white apple sticker on the back.

6. n8mac macrumors 6502

Yes, and it's annoying. That ad makes me feel like computer users are dumb and only use the internet and email. I don't think it's right when an ad shows a piece of software for Windows only and they have people using a Mac or Mac OS. False advertising in my book.

Okay, so I was curious and went ahead to their site www.finallyfast.com and was surprised to see a Mac link. I clicked it and they have a software download called 'MacTuneUp'. So maybe showing Macs off in this instance was acceptable.

I keep my Macs clean and with OS X they run great so I have no need for it. Maybe someone else here has a need for it? Let us know if it helps.

7. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

i think they use macs on tv simplily because the design is nicer. i was talking about it with the wife the other day.
    a mac book looks so much better than a bog standard windows machine. thats probably why they use them.