Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
MA
I recently bought a used Dell 17" display (E173FP) and It worked great for about a half a day. Then when I slept My PowerMac G4 (which it was attached to) the display went to sleep like normal. When I woke up the next morning I woke the powermac to be greeted with no video. The powerbutton had a green/orange color to it, as if both LED's were on. The power button didnt respond to pressing, and didnt power the monitor off. I had to unplug the monitor to shut it off, and when I plugged it back in the same problem was apparent.

I left it unplugged for about 5 hours, and I came back to reattach it, and it worked. Now (day 3) i had the powermac on to keep from sleeping, and the monitor was running great. I pressed the power button to see if it would work again, and it did. Happy, I pressed it again only to have the orange/green light stare back at me, displaying no video on the screen.

I restarted the G4, booted from Tiger disk, tried the monitor on my HP, and unplugged, replugged it may times. Anyone have any clue what to do?

nickelbackmac

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Jonesboro, Arkansas USA
If you bought it used from other than Dell, have you asked them about it? Maybe that's why they were selling it... Or if you bought it from the Dell Outlet, did you ask Dell about it? Just trying to help a little :eek: .

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
MA
I was told it was in perfect working condition by the seller, and he even had it running when i arrived.

upon hookup with my PMg4, it worked fine as well. I'm just wondering at this point if my PowerMac induced some sort of weird sleep type thing on it.

When I had my f1903 HP monitor on the powermac, i had to keep hitting the select button everytime it turned on, so it would show video.

could this be the Vid card not sendinga signal to the monitor?

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
MA
:update:

screen now working

had to "discharge capacitors due to power surge"

thanks for the reply

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.