Dell E1705 user, switching to MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by b-e.n, Apr 6, 2009.

1. b-e.n macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I'm switching this week and am really eager to pick up a new macbook pro. I have a few questions though. I need a french (azerty) keyboard, which is important for my studies (i need the accents, am used to this keyboard, etc.). I currently have a qwerty dell e1705 with azerty stickers on them. it hasnt bothered me but it is confusing sometimes, for me and my friends, and it doesnt look good. my real concern though, is can i get an azerty macbook pro at my local apple store (stamford mall to be exact)? Also, can macconnection.com sell me their 1700$ macbook pro with the azerty keyboard? it'd be nice to save 300 bucks, but i'd be willing to pay 300 more bucks just for the azerty keyboard.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I highly doubt you'll just be able to walk into an Apple Store and pick up a machine with an azerty keyboard in the US. Ask the store manager or one of the employees if they a) have one, and when they respond in the negative ask if you can order one. It might take a bit to ship (and might cost extra), but they should be able to do that for you.

3. santos79 macrumors regular

That's kind of interesting. I'm kind of your opposite: I'm originally from Stamford, Ct., but live in Rennes, France at the moment. I couldn't get used to the azerty keyboard, which is why I ordered a Macbook Pro at the (French) Apple online store with an International English keyboard.

Anyway have you tried the online store? Maybe you can get one with a Canadian keyboard, which IMO combines the best of both worlds.

4. darrenscerri macrumors regular

darrenscerri

Apple Stores have stock according to their locations. It's nearly impossible that a US Apple Store would have a different keyboard layout than US. You have to buy it from a retailer I think, or you could go to the Apple Store and ask if they can ship an azerty MBP.
    Good Luck!

5. b-e.n thread starter macrumors newbie

this is interesting haha, i can use the qwerty keyboard but i absolutely need the accents for homework, commentaires composés, and dissertations. I called the apple store stamford, they didn't have any in stock. I think there's an option on the online store to get the french keyboard. it's free but i'm going to have to convince my father to spend another 300$ (for the 2000$ macbook pro on apple.com) over the 1700$ deal macconnection has going on.
    [​IMG]
    this would be it, right?

6. wesrk macrumors 6502a

yes that's it.
    I have the spanish one, and even though it's not exactly like the spanish keyboards back home, it's western spanish and only a couple keys are switched, but yeah, you can do all of these things and more ¿?¡!áüñ

7. santos79 macrumors regular

I assume that's the French Canadian keyboard, but since it doesn't specify, I guess it could also be an azerty keyboard. Check out the following link to see the differences:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2841?viewlocale=en_US

8. b-e.n thread starter macrumors newbie

^i'm not sure, can anyone confirm? i still think it's an azerty french keyboard, i think they would've put "french canadian" if that was the case.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ask your nearby Apple Store how much it would cost for them to order an AZERTY keyboard and install it for you. Apple will do it even if you bought your Mac at an Apple reseller. If it's cheaper than $300, then buy your laptop at MacConnection and save $300, and then pay Apple to order and install the new keyboard.

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

If you are a good typer and don't need to look at the keys, you can set the os to think you have the french key layout and go from there.

11. b-e.n thread starter macrumors newbie

Abstract, i cant be bothered to do that, it would take too long, i can't wait much longer.
    Freyqq, i wish i was like that but unfortunately i'm not.
    I'll just order off of the apple store.
    thanks for the suggestions though

12. b-e.n thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been thinking about this actually. I think I could do it, and i've checked the keyboards, but the left shifts and the "enter" buttons on both keyboards are different. Is this fixable?:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Call Apple Sales and ask them. ;)

14. b-e.n thread starter macrumors newbie

I called an apple store (the one on 5th ave), and they said it's possible, but for 100 bucks.

15. jmvnice macrumors newbie

Hi Ben!

I'm french and I live in DC until September.

I'd like to order a macbook pro from the US Apple Store but I've the same question you asked months ago: french keyboard on the US apple store is a real french AZERTY or a french-canadian QWERTY?

Thank you for your answer! Bonne soirée!