Dell External Displays

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by samkupo, Jun 15, 2008.

?

Which External Display?

1. Display 1

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. Display 2

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Display 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other? Please State

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. samkupo macrumors newbie

I recently got my macbook and I love it! but I want to be mainly using it for my photography the screen is a little on the small side for this so I need an external display, I asked in a previous thread and people suggest the Dell ultrasharp displays?

I found these 3 that are in my price range, has anyone got any comments/suggests/help in picking one I don't know much about this topic.

1: http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=129995

this one says its HD? but i really dont get HD, isnt it just a bigger tonal range so it looks more detailed in the colours? if thats the case surely that makes things look fake and not how they'd look to the real eye / when printed.

2: http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=100729

3: http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=135909

thanks for any help

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Links 1 and 3 are to the exact same product. I downloaded the tech specs and nothing is different. Therefore, you have two choices wide or full screen. Personally I'd get the wide screen, it offers a higher contrast ratio and a better resolution.

3. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

The 1st is the cheapest and widescreen, and HD. That would do you right?

4. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I would go with #1 because in today's world, why would anyone want to buy a screen that is not widescreen. :)

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would go with the first one out of the 3 (or 2)

I have a Dell 2001WFP with an S-IPS panel, so I would recommend the one I have, but it does cost a little more, but I have to say it will not disappoint ;)

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

7. ibookluv111 macrumors member

I'm not sure what all of the differences between the Ultrasharp and normal Dell LCD's are, but I have a Dell 19" that I bought brand new last December for my iBook. Since then, I've had two pixels out and "wavy" lines all over the screen, but only when plugged into my iBook. If I plug another LCD in, it's fine. So, I've not had great experience with my Dell monitor, but I probably just got a bad one. (I also used the Dell with a couple windows computers on a VGA switch).

8. samkupo thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the input, the first one looks good, but I dont know what the plus side is of having HD? its just a sharper image yeah? its still confusing me a little.

to those who suggested I cant get a sony 32'' lcd -_- lol

9. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

I would definitely go with #1, partially because it is widescreen, which is alot better in my opinion to work on than a 4:3. I'm pretty sure that it is labeled HD because it can support 720p which is a 1280x720 resolution. (but really all of those monitors can go above that resolution, so I believe that it is just a marketing term).

EDIT: I can also definitely vouch for the quality of Dell monitors. I have a 2008wfp and it is absolutely amazing with no problems / dead pixels.

10. samkupo thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks I think i might get the first one then, do you, or anyone know what kind of lead i need to buy to connect my macbook to it? DVI?

if i did get any dead pixels or anything with it then its got 3 year warranty from dell right? so thats no problem.