Dell Latitude D620 or Gateway MX6426?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ouimetnick, Nov 14, 2009.

1. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I have a gateway MX6426. And my mom has the Dell Latitude D620 for work. She is getting a new laptop, so I might buy the D620.
    The specs of my Gateway (current)
    2.1 GHZ AMD Turion 64
    1Gb Ram
    80 GB PATA 4200 RPM HD

Would It be a downgrade to get the Dell? Its specs are
    Intel Core Duo 1.6 GHZ
    1Gb RAM
    40GB SATA 5400RPM.
    Would going to a Dell from gateway be downgrading. I will get a larger HD, but in short is the Core Duo 1.6 GHZ going to be faster than the AMD Turion 64?

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The Dell should actually be a bit faster in some areas since it's dual core vs the single cored Turion. It will likely feel snappier simply because of the dual cores but single threaded tasks may be a bit slower. The Dell will be easier to upgrade with a faster and bigger hard drive since it uses SATA instead of PATA (which is becoming hard to find).

However, all in all, there's not really that much in it. If you can sell the HP and get the Dell for the same price then I'd say go for it but if not then you might be better served putting that money aside for a newer machine later on.

3. TSE macrumors 68030

If you could maybe upgrade to the Dell for the same price like the above poster stated, than I would do it. The Core Duo would still destroy any processor you throw in a sub $450 dollar notebook.

Just be aware you are really cutting it low on hard drive space with that Dell.