Dell Latitude vs Mac book Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mdparks, Nov 21, 2007.

1. mdparks macrumors newbie

My wife and I are looking to purchase a new computer to help us start up an business and I am typing this from our 1999 Dell Desktop. We have never had problems with this computer and always have been a fan of Dell. Now that she is using photoshop we can see it bogging down and wanting the capability to travel with this computer we obviously need a NEW lap top.

Pricing out a loaded Dell we can get something pretty high end for about $2600. The comparable (slightly better) Mac book Pro (which I like) is about $3600. Is the Mac Book Pro worth another $1000 and why?

What we will use this for: Photo editing and graphic design. Website updating and plan to get a 1TB external hard drive for photo storage. Will want a CD/DVD burner and already bought a 24" Samsung secondary monitor for at home use.

At my company both Apple and Dell give us a three year - interst free loan for a new computer and accessories purchase that get systematically deducted from my paycheck (up to $4000). these two brands are my ONLY options.

Any suggestions are welcomed. THANKS!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What exact Dell are you looking at, and what are it's specs? Same question with the MacBook Pro.

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Dell laptops. Meh. The 5150 I have has a known fault in the design that Dell acknowledged and was forced to fix. They extended the warranty to 9/30/07, but neglected to notify people.. so mine sat bricked beyond that date and I had to fight tooth and nail to get it fixed (which it still isn't 'fixed').

I'll never buy another Dell Laptop.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Mac laptops haven't exactly had a glowing history of reliability of late, so let's not start down that road.

5. mdparks thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac book Pro - $3700
    2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    MacBook Pro 17-inch High-Resolution Widescreen Display
    2GB 667 DDR2 - 2x1GB SO-DIMMs
    200GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Dell vostro - $2200
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7250 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Business and QuickBooks Pro 2008
    17.0 inch Wide Screen XGA+ LCD Display
    4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
    250GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
    8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability

Dell M6300 -
    I built a little bit better Dell with 7200 rpm hard drvie and it ran XP and had a 2.4GHz T7700 Intel Core Processor and this was $2600

6. kothrush macrumors member

kothrush

Get stock MBP for $1999 and you are set !

If you are going to do what you described and not bother running latest games, get stock MBP 2.2 GHz, which is $1999. This is a very powerful machine and you should not have any problem with it.

If you thinking of updating HDD, dont do it. You'll have external 1TB, so internal 120GB should be good for the road. You might want to get 3rd party RAM later on, but i say 2GB is good for now. Use it, see how you feel, only get 4GB RAM from 3rd party (crucial, macsales.com etc.) if you think 2GB won't be enough.

7. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

$3600? The most expensive stock MBP (17") costs $2800.

8. mdparks thread starter macrumors newbie

Not true. You can customize it. There are ways to spend well over $4000 on one. First of all Apple rapes you on extra Ram which I already deceided not to purchase through the, (dell is more resonable and competitive with Crucal, etc.).

Then you can get a HD screen, and then a bigger HDD, and upgrade processor to 2.6, with a mighty mouse and wireless keyboard and the warranty it is $3600.

Oh..and I could buy a external monitor 24" for some outragous sum of money but I bought a Samsung for $300 that excellent.

9. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

$250 for the 2.6, $200 for the 7200rpm 200GB. That's $450 extra. $3250 not $3700.

PS Maybe you should hold out until Jan 08 where you can expect 2.6 as standard, saving at least $250

Edit: As for your last post, I said STOCK MBP 17", that means the base config. But yes if you really want to part with some cash you could purchase extra RAM, but only a fool would. Aside from the HD screen and ridiculous 200 MHz $250 upgrade, everything can be bought elsewhere for less.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

OK, well you're paying a $250 premium for that 2.6GHz CPU you put in the MacBook, and $200 for the 7200RPM drive too. So that's $450 you've added to the MacBook that isn't needed.

Anyway, you say this is for a business, so I'd say far more important is what business applications will you need to run?

edit: ^ ha, beaten to the exact same point.

11. mdparks thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe we will wait. I kind of want to get this thing soon though. $250 is not really worth over three years no interest. the $3700 comes from the apple care protection and the wireless mouse and keyboard, etc. We will be able to get a student discount but the Dell will be discounted through my company so I expect it is a wash there.

I am trying really hard to convince myself that the Mac Book Pro is the way to go but no one has been able to convince me yet. Spyware and viruses are the only things that are pushing me to spend the extra $1000.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

YOU are spending the extra $1000 through your spec choices. It's doesn't need to cost that much. Does the Dell come with a 2.6GHz processor, a 7200RPM drive, and 3 year warranty (vs the AppleCare you're buying)?

13. mdparks thread starter macrumors newbie

We will run microsoft office, CS 2 (*eventaully CS 3 or better), Quickbooks, Dreamweaver, Several Photo archiving and storage softwares, and CS 2 has a bunch of specialize actions that we purchased to edit hundreds of photos in the click of a button (wife is the expert on this stuff).

14. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

you're getting a 2.6GHz but only 2GB of ram?

15. mdparks thread starter macrumors newbie

Not 2.6 (only 2.4) but the warranty and drive is the same. I tried to make it as apples to apples as I could (no pun intended)

16. mdparks thread starter macrumors newbie

I refuse to buy extra ram from Apple. Its a $750 upgrade. I will go to a third party and get 4GB for $250 or so or add as needed.

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Ok, so with Office, Photoshop and Dreamweaver you're fine (as in they exist for Mac, you might have to buy them all again though, don't know). How about Quickbooks and this other "photo archiving and storage softwares", does anything comparable exist for Mac?
    Your post says the Dell has a 2.0Ghz processor, considerably cheaper than a 2.6Ghz C2D.

18. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Why is it these comparison threads rarely take the OS into consideration? Any pure hardware-to-hardware match fails to quantify the MBPs ability to run a legal, unhacked version of OSX. If you don't care about OSX, then you'll always be able to find a cheaper PC alternative. If you do care, then Dell can't offer anything beyond an external monitor.

And I love my Dell 2407WFP-HC, as long as it shows me my Tiger/Leopard interface.

19. mdparks thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah...sorry that was confusing. The $2200 had a 2.0Gb and the $2600 had the 2.4Gb.

The $2600 is really the closer version of the Mac Book Pro that I want.

20. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Yes, but customer service between companies is night and day difference. Apple will fix it, Dell was FORCED to fix it.

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Apple will fix it if you're lucky. Ask mpw how he's been getting on with his MacBook, and he is just one of many.

All I'm saying is that to try and compare support and reliability Apple have a long way to go before you'd want to use this in an argument.

22. mdparks thread starter macrumors newbie

So bottom line you guys would go with Apple over Dell but tone down the extras? I just figured that since we are not people who intend to buy a new computer every other year to go with the best processor and call it a purchase.

I read the forums on this website and mostly find defenders of Apple whiich is fine. Like I said, I am trying to get convinced to spend the estra money. I am just looking for some good facts and different points of view to justify the extra money and perhaps understand why Apple is "better for photos and graphic design" like the comercials say.

also, good point on the operating system. I know it is hard to compare Dell's with Apples but for me I am trying to take a simplified approach to get some answers and that may not be possible for what I am trying to do.

23. amoda macrumors 6502a

Okay, I just went to Dell's website and customized the M6300.

Here's what I get:

Intel C2D 2.4 <--Optional, going to a 2.6 costs an extra $320.
    Nvida FX1600 256mb <--Standard
    17" WUXGA UltraSharpTM Display (1920*1200) <--Optional
    2GB ram <--Optional
    120Gb HD, 7200RPM <--Optional, closest option to the one in the MBP.
    8X Dvd RW <--Optional
    Bluetooth <--Optional
    Draft-N Wireless <--Optional
    Vista Ultimate <--Optional

Price: $2835

From Apple's side:

2.4Ghz C2D <--Standard, going to a 2.6 costs an extra $250.
    2Gb ram<--Standard
    160Gb 5400 <--Standard
    8x Dvd RW <--Standard
    17" High Def (1920*1200) <--Optional
    Bluetooth <--Standard
    Draft-N Wireless <--Standard
    Nvida 8600M GT 256MB <--Standard
    Mac OS X 10.5 <--Standard

Price: $2899

So you're paying an extra $64 for no viruses, better OS, sexier/slimmer case, backlit keyboard and whatnot. I'm not sure which graphic card is better but by the numbers I assume the 8600M GT?

And oi, anti-virus software ain't free :p Had to take a jab, sorry :(

Edits: Fixed my multiple grammar & spelling mistakes :( And I also added a jab at Microsoft :)

24. nickweston macrumors member

Is there really a question here?

After owning 19 Macs over 23 years and building a successful business on them, I have been asked this type of question by many people over the years.

In the past, I've gone into speeches about quality or hardware, superb OS, ease of use, lack of viruses, etc. I could go on and on.

but now my standard answer is:

if you could look at both of these alternatives and STILL consider a PC, get one! by all means get the PC. Please. Leave us alone here. We're tired of telling people how productive and happy and wonderful our "expensive" Macs are, only to be followed with more questions questions questions, and almost all of them are about MONEY by people who "claim" to be professionals.

Did you buy the BMW 5 series? Why not the Ford Focus?

GET A PC! RUN YOUR VIRUS WIZARD! DOWNLOAD YOUR SERVICE PACK! WATCH THE DOGGIE WITH THE FLASHLIGHT FIND THE FILE ON YOUR :C DRIVE! DO IT! You'll never notice the difference, my friend.

the best part of this question is that this guy is in the GRAPHICS business!

25. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

And there's more to it. We are looking at acquisition cost, ignoring end of life value.

Go to eBay, look up a two year old Dell laptop and an equivilent two year old Apple laptop. NIGHT AND DAY difference. Now, you may realize that value by selling at the end of two years, or you may realize that value by holding onto what the market says is a much more valuable two year old machine.

Either way, some of the Apple benefit comes later in the machine's life either as a "second life" with another owner or a longer life for you.

Also... if you buy the Mac and wish you'd bought a Vista laptop instead, you can buy a copy of Vista OEM and switch 100% to Vista for about $120. And you'll have what PC World calls the fastest Vista laptop they've ever tested.

If you buy the Dell and wish you'd bought a Mac instead... you can sell the Dell for maybe $800 to $1000 off what you paid, if you do it QUICK. 50% of purchase price if you wait six months.