Dell LCD not compatible with Macs?

hpeezy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
vancouver, bc
i've just noticed that on the Dell website, in the tech specs for the UltraSharp 1704FPV 17-inch LCD monitor, that it says "Compatiblity: PC" and no mention of Mac.

is this true?? i'm positive I've read threads on this forum where people were discussing Dell LCD's vs. Apple Displays.. and shouldn't a standard DVI connection work no matter what platform you're using?

also, which would you choose:
1) the Samsung 715V 17" LCD monitor at $399 (total cost, Canadian dollars)
2) the Dell 1704FPV 17" LCD monitor at $460 (total cost, Canadian dollars)

mcl

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
hpeezy said:
i've just noticed that on the Dell website, in the tech specs for the UltraSharp 1704FPV 17-inch LCD monitor, that it says "Compatiblity: PC" and no mention of Mac.

is this true?? i'm positive I've read threads on this forum where people were discussing Dell LCD's vs. Apple Displays.. and shouldn't a standard DVI connection work no matter what platform you're using?

also, which would you choose:
1) the Samsung 715V 17" LCD monitor at $399 (total cost, Canadian dollars)
2) the Dell 1704FPV 17" LCD monitor at $460 (total cost, Canadian dollars)
Ignore the "compatibility" thing. Most places don't ever put "mac" because they never test macs with the displays.

I've got a Dell 2001FP, and it works just fine with my 12".

Enjoy!

Comment

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I use a Dell 20" LCD monitor with my 15" Al Powerbook w/o problems. Any monitor that uses a DVI standard connector (or a VGA standard connector, for that matter) should work with basically any computer - Windows, Mac, Linux, etc. All modern monitors make it possible to retrieve information regarding what resolutions they support, and at what refresh rate(s); so any modern OS can intelligently decipher that info and pick display settings that will work.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.