Dell Mini 9 Running Linux or a smartphone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mariahlullaby, Dec 19, 2008.

1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I am considering getting one of the new Dell netbooks running Ubuntu (don't want one running XP) for just light things and running around when I don't need to bring my MBP. I love my MBP to death (and do carry it around almost every day) but there's a lot of things I don't need to lug it around for. Class notes, short trips, etc. and I've always wanted to try Linux out seriously.

I know there's a lot of threads on netbooks in this forum, I just didn't find one about what people use them for, how they like the Mini 9, etc.

My other option would be to get something like an upgraded Touch or a Blackberry Bold next year to replace my current Curve.

Any thoughts??

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the Dell Mini is pretty good. i love mine and use it daily. although i do have OS X running on it, even with the few issues that it has running OS X, its pretty good for your run of the mill tasks. email, web, chat, word processing etc.

i have an iphone, and while thats certainly capable of doing a good chunk of those things as well... minus word processing... its much easier to communicate faster and more efficiently with my netbook as the keyboard is more familiar and the larger screen helps, makes it easier to multi task, and to save things for later.

any questions about the Dell feel free to ask and i will do my best to answer them for you. i'm typing this on it actually :)

3. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Cool, thanks for the advice! I am really considering it with such a great price point and size....I can fit in my purse! How is running OSX on it and installing it?

I was thinking the same thing about the smartphone; I would never use it for word processing, for example, or true Internet browsing. I love my Touch but I consider it a media device; I use my Blackberry to check my RSS feeds and emails.

How's the screen on it?

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it runs OS X without a problem i have two issues one of which ive found no answers on. sleep doesnt work apparently due to the hard drive so its always shut down and boot up and i have an issue with USB devices not being recognized when plugged in unless they were present when its started up. other than that it works like any other OS X install.

installation isnt a problem but you would need some specifics on that which would probably be easy enough to google or PM me for more details on that. but a standard 10.5 disk will not work.

the screen is small, takes a bit getting used to i suppose, but it is LED and bright and everything is crisp and clear. nice to have spaces and expose for something so small.

the keyboard is the only thing that really takes some getting used to, but i have no problems with it now after using it for a bit.

5. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Cool....I am not sure I'd hack it for OS X right away, as like I said, I've always wanted to really try out Linux (I've played around with it and loved Ubuntu, but haven't owned a machine with on it) and it would be a fun experience. But, if I ever decided I hated it or needed iTunes, there's always a good option to go to :p

I'll let you know what I decide, but I really appreciate your advice and help -- it's been very helpful!

I do wish it didn't have late ship date....was hoping I could get it in time for Christmas if I did do it. But I don't mind waiting.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah OS X wasnt hard at all to really get going. if you do decide to do it just let me know and i can give you info on it.

its a good little machine. doesnt get hot either and is quiet.
    biggest advice: get the largest drive you can afford though. especially if you think you will install OS X at some point. it will make a big difference.

7. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

when i was looking it was pretty hard to find one in my area in general. the dell was much easier to get a hold of, even with a waiting period.

9. ViM macrumors regular

it may be hard to find a msi wind but there are so many clones that it is essentially ubiquitous such as the advent 4211, medion akoya mini. Nearly everything works out of box except for headphone out and mic and that is apparently going to be fixed soon. Nevertheless the dell mini 9 is still a great buy, its cheaper and it would probably be faster than a phone.

10. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I decided to go with the Dell Mini -- I got a decent deal off of eBay (only 4GB HD unfortunately but I don't plan on storing much on it...can use my 8GB thumb drive as backup). It's going under the tree as my parents (bless them) found me looking at them and said they wanted to make it a Christmas gift.

Can't wait to try it out...will let you know what I think!

Thank you so much for all your help!