dell monitor > acd?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kculloton, May 20, 2007.

1. kculloton macrumors member

Hey,

I am really indecisive now towards a 24' dell monitor, or a 23' acd. What are the main differences in both the monitors. I am well aware that both are very high-end, but any differences at all that I should take into consideration?

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

3. kculloton thread starter macrumors member

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

well let me search the site for that...

5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

UltraSharp 2407WFP is the one you would want, 569. It's not as clear as the acd due to the acd being 23 and the dell being 24 and them both having the same resolution, but other than that its great.

6. kculloton thread starter macrumors member

How big of a difference of quality would I be seeing from the 24' ultrasharp and the 23' acd?

7. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

That depend on what you do with it, i.e., what are you looking for in a monitor?

I'm under the impression that ACD tends to display colour more accurately, even when both are calibrated. But Dell one might display more color and faster.

8. kculloton thread starter macrumors member

I'm looking into a monitor for widescreen, monitor hungry size, and rich color for pro tools / dvd watching.

9. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

Dell then will do you fine.

10. murfle macrumors regular

Just keep in mind you may or may not get a panel that will suit your purposes... Dell uses two types of panel in this model. S-IPS and S-PVA. Both have strong points and weak points. Type "Dell LCD lottery" into google and do your research before jumping on the dell bandwagon. If you want a guarenteed S-IPS, get the ACD. If you want to play the lottery, save some money, and possibly play an exchange game, go with the Dell...

That being said, I got the dell, ended up with an S-IPS panel, which is generally considered the better of the two, and I'm not entirely happy with it. With a grey, or mid-range darker background (not black), I can see waves (forget the technical term people use), and its really annoying. Its still new, so I'm going to spend some more time looking into if this is an issue with the one I got, or one with the S-IPS panels in general, before I play the exchange game... Other than that, I'm very pleased with everything else about it.

And, with all the above, you never mentioned what your usage will be, so either the S-IPS or the S-PVA might be just fine for you... Research off this forum. Very little seem to understand the dell lottery thing.