Dell Monitor, compatibility issue with Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thealpha1, Sep 10, 2015.

1. thealpha1 macrumors member

Hi all - I have a Dell S2740L 27" and a Macbook Pro 17" 2011

I have recently purchased a wired mouse and keyboard, and want to connect these two peripherals via the two USB ports, which are located at the back of the monitor. Unfortunately, when plugged in, both of these ports are not recognised.

I have phoned Dell customer support early this morning and they have said that the firmware would need to be updated, but because I am not using Windows, they have stated that this issue is a compatibility one as no drivers are available for Mac systems.

Just wondering if there is anyway possible I can get the wired keyboard and mouse to work via the USB ports at the back of the monitor, as the wires will not stretch to my Macbook Pro.

Thanks all,

-Ben.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

This may be a stupid question, but did you plug a USB A to USB B cable from the monitor to your Mac?

One of those cables: [​IMG]

The monitor acts as a USB hub, without a USB cable going to the computer, none of the ports will work.

3. thealpha1 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your reply!

No, the only cable I have going from the monitor to the Macbook Pro, if one of these:

[​IMG]

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

You need one like @snaky69 pictured in order to enable the USB ports. The one you pictured is strictly video signal. By the way, you need BOTH cables. In a way, I'm both surprised but also NOT surprised the support rep didn't ask the question.

5. thealpha1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply too! so, if I purchase the cable, am I right in thinking that only one USB port will be functional? there is only two slots, and obviously if I am purchasing the cable, only one of the USB slots would be functional as the other one is taken.

Could you link me to a good brand on a UK based site? even Amazon UK

thanks!

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

There should be a USB B port on the monitor, usually near the other 2 USB ports. The "square" end of the cable plugs in there with the other end plugging into the laptop.

Yeah, looking at the images of the monitor on Newegg it appears the USB B plug is right near the 2 USB A ports on the input panel.

No need to go buy a cable, one should have been in the box, per Dell's website. There should also have been a "quick start guide" that shows you how to hook things up.

7. thealpha1 thread starter macrumors member

I see that now! - I'll be honest with you.. I threw the box and all the cables (I didn't think I needed in the trash..) stupid of me, I know..

8. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

That is a good case for the good old RTFM.

At least you know how to fix your problem now.