Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
So, I have my 09 mini connected to a Dell E177FP and I have the energy preferences set to turn the display off after 15 minutes. The problem is that the display never turns off. It just sits at the "check signal" screen as if it was not plugged into anything. How can I get the monitor to go into standby mode? Thanks.

theqwertyblog

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2009
Same!

Wow! I am having the EXACT same issue (I think if I am understanding you correctly)> I made a post on it too just a few minutes ago. Check it out! I really hope someone helps us.

theqwertyblog

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2009
Exact.

And by the way, when I say exact I mean exact... I have the same display model number as you, but I just have mine hooked up to an iMac. I know people that have out same setup (a Dell hooked up to a Mac) and they don't have this issue. Maybe it's just this model number? (Mine happens to me a E176FP, same monitor, just smaller than yours...) What do you think?

theqwertyblog

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2009
Better way to phrase it

I think this is a better way to phrase our question (taken from my thread):

I have an Intel White iMac. I recently hooked up an external Dell monitor to it using a VGA to Mini-DVI adapter. It is working great, except for one thing. Every time the iMac goes to sleep, or even just puts displays to sleep, the monitor acts like there is no signal and starts that Self-Check feature (that bouncing multi-colored square that you always want to go exactly into the corner but, never does). I cannot figure out why! Don't just say that it's normal because I have seen people with Dell's hooked up to Macs and they do NOT have this issue. Now, I understand it could just be my computer, but, I am looking to get a new Mac soon. I am considering a Mac Pro, and so here is my true question because I don't think anyone will be able to explain for sure why it's happening to me: Does anyone out there have a Mac Pro connected to a Dell Monitor that does not have this problem? I want to know for when I purchase one, because that could make the difference between an Apple Monitor and a Dell Monitor.

Thanks! I am new here and I am hoping my experience will be great! I am told you guys are incredible with answering questions and I know there is no bigger community of Mac Geeks than here... Thanks again!

hobiemak

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2009
same problem with dell 1707 FP

I just got a Mac Mini this week and I have the same problem with a Dell 1707 FP monitor. It also reset the resolution once, and the monitor produced a weird overlay message about the analog signal and optimal resolution, which was strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.