Dell monitor with Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by peejack, Jan 10, 2008.

1. peejack macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

Don't suppose any of you out there have a dell 24" monitor?

I have been tried to calibrate this bloody thing to look good, but looks not all that at mo, the whites look yellow etc...

I have some dead pixel with this monitor so it's going back but I will get another so I was wondering if anyone had got it looking good?

Just doesn't look as sharp as the mac screens.

Thanks

2. timestamp macrumors 6502

I have noticed this with most monitors. They just don't look quite as good.

Did the get the 2407WFP-HC? If so, the high gamut could be causing problems when calibrating. Do you have a calibrator? That is the best way to do it.

3. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi mate, no I have the Dell True Colour E248WFP.

Where would I find a calibrator? would it also be possible to use a mac calibrator file and see if that works at all?

4. timestamp macrumors 6502

Well part of your problem is that it is a TN panel, which are not known for superb colors.

That said, you should be able to get decent colors. A calibration file from someone else might work, but in general it doesnt work too well.

You can try a Pantone Huey, they are nice and pretty inexpensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Pantone-Monitor-Color-Calibrator-MEU101/dp/B000CR78C4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1200005240&sr=8-1

5. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would it make any difference if i brought the different panel? The 2407WFP-HC was like £130+ more don't want to get it and have the same problem :(

What panel should I be going for?

And what the hell is the link you just sent? lol, what is the plastic stick thing for??? Never seen one of them before :confused:

Do you also know what type of screen is used in the 24" iMac aluminum, it's beautiful and thats what im comparing this too.

6. amik macrumors regular

the stick thing is a colorimeter

7. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

set the gamma to 2.2 straight away for a start...

8. tribe3 macrumors 6502

Go with an S-IPS panel; Apple panels are good bang for the buck at the moment. Other brands to consider are Lacie; Some NEC models, or the 30" Dell (I think it's the only one with S-IPS panels at the moment)

Spending so much money on a Mac Pro and using a cheap monitor doesn't make a lot of sense.

Bests

9. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeh I think you are right, would it be worth waiting for macworld to see if the apple displays come out or are they not a likely? Or can anyone else recommend some particular models they have tried.

Thanks

10. amik macrumors regular

I have a samsung 244t that I use at work and it is a very nice monitor. I personally will be picking up a hp lp3065 or dell 3008wfp.

11. Joe Bannon macrumors regular

I have one, works good.

12. waremaster macrumors 6502

I have a couple of the Dell 2407WFP-HC hooked to my mac pro and absolutely love them. Beautiful colors. I have them hooked to the X1900XT video card.

13. ceres macrumors regular

Would you mind posting which custom color settings you use with this monitor.
    The default 100/100/100 red / green / blue looks horrible. I have tried playing around with the settings but couldn´t obtain proper white.

Thank you,
    ceres

14. Joe Bannon macrumors regular

How do I get it, I'll post mine for you too.

15. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

All monitors vary, the only way to get the colours right is by using a decent calibration system. I originally bought the Pantone Huey (because it was cheap) but I wasn't happy. I now use the Spyder 2 Pro, great unit and great colours.

16. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

17. timestamp macrumors 6502

Neither, all 22" displays to my knowledge are TN panels.

Use this site to find out which panels a display uses.

http://tftcentral.co.uk/

18. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, the LG L226WTQ seems to have lots of good reviews from people using a mac It is the better spec out of the 2 right?

And with regards to S-IPS panels I can't find any who does them?

From that site link you sent it appears LG.Phillips make all the apple display panels??

19. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Also is it likely the apple displays will be updated at macworl? Are they expected or not? and is it likely they will still be the same price and use S-IPS?

20. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Know what? I give up I think ill buy an apple one lol ekkkk :eek::eek:

21. ceres macrumors regular

Hit the osd menu button on the bezel and then + + to bring up color settings.

Thanks,

cxc