Dell Monitor with MBPr

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xc runner, Dec 7, 2015.

1. xc runner macrumors member

Hi all!

I have a quick question which I had a difficult time attempting to research online, but could be easily answered. I just purchased a Dell monitor (E2412HM) as a second monitor for my work computer - what cable(s) do I need to purchase, if possible, to also use this for my 2013 late MBPr?

Cheers,

2. QuickDraw macrumors regular

i couldn't find the exact model specs of that monitor, but a similar one comes with a dvi cable. so you can connect that to your pc and to your laptop with a mini-dp to dvi cable. also if you don't want to switch cables and rather switch inputs. I think that monitor also has a display port input ( check specs). so you could buy a mini display port to display port cable to connect your laptop to your monitor, and just switch inputs.

3. campyguy macrumors 68030

I just bought two of these 2m cables for both of my Dell displays:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0163LQUH6/ref=s9_hps_bw_g23_i3

Your Dell will ship with a cable in the box. The above cables have more throughput and are the only DP 1.2-compatible cable on the displayport.org web site. I've used other mDP>DP cables, but this is the only DP cable I've used that has zero power feedback on Pin 20 on both ends of the cable. Others may choose cheaper cables, but this is my choice and recommendation - there is a 1m version of this cable available, I opted for the longer cable as both of my displays are on arms and I move them several times each day.