Dell or NEC Monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macmesser, Jun 27, 2013.

1. macmesser macrumors 6502a

Great deals available on some monitors I've been eying. Can't wait anymore. Which should I go with? (BDay coming up and someone who loves me is springing for a nice present.)

NEC MultiSync PA271W - looking at this for a long time. The one photogs love. Would have been a no-brainer except now 30 inchers are in the same price ballpark. 1.07 billion colors. 14 bit programmable LUT is very attractive, plus excellent connectivity options.

Dell U3014 - 1.07 billion colors, excellent reviews- PC editor's choice. Factory color calibrated. Not sure how this compares to the NEC color wise but 30 inches would be game-changing for me. I have color calibration hardware so probably could get a very accurate profile for this monitor. I'm leaning this way even though I've lusted for the NEC for a while now. Touted are software features which I think would not be available for Mac and I'm wondering if this should be a deal breaker.

I have resisted some attractive budget models for a while but need to pull the trigger asap, for reasons of work efficiency and sanity. Any help with decision appreciated.

2. HooRide macrumors newbie

Sorry I can't make a direct comparison since I've never seen the Dell in person but I made a similar decision between the NEC and Dell based on online research some time ago. I purchased the NEC (PA301w-bk-sv) and am very happy with it. My only hesitation if I were purchasing now is the release of 4k displays on the horizon.