Dell P2415Q owners: what does Preferences show?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nagromme, May 1, 2015.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

in Displays Preferences, my Dell UP2414Q looks similar to a Retina MacBook Pro--indicating that sharp 2x (and smoothly-scaled) resolutions are offered:

[​IMG]

Does the P2415Q show that same thing, with the little square pictures? Or does it show a traditional scrolling list of resolution numbers--indicating that 2x (retina) support is missing?

Thanks in advance!

(My UP2414Q is a dud, and Dell refuses warranty support since I bought it from Amazon and not directly from Dell. So assuming I can get a refund, I'll either buy another, or buy a P2415Q which has a smaller gamut but is cheaper.)

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

What happens if you hold the "Option" key down when you click on the "Scaled" button selection?

3. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Thanks a lot! I think I'll get that display!

I don't know if you held Option or not, but either way--you got retina scaling.

Neat trick! I didn't know that gave you a numeric list on retina machines. Holding option lets my UP2414Q use the native 4k at 1x (more of a novelty--too tiny) or go as low 1152x648. And super-low-res modes still use 2x assets, so they all look pretty good. Some of them also have a "low resolution" mode if you check that box. 1600x900 @ 1x is the lowest. Might be useful for software testing.

(One quirk that is probably unavoidable: I can't use portrait orientation unless I disable DisplayPort 1.2 on the display--which drops me from 60Hz to 30Hz. I imagine the P2415Q probably has that same choice. Normally I want landscape @ 60Hz anyway.)

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Hmmmm ... I get 60 Hz. in portrait mode over DisplayPort 1.2. I am running my P2715Q in a cMacPro 5,1 with a GTX680 video card.

5. iamfredrik macrumors member

I didn't hold Option. Option gives me a list of 12 resolutions + an option to show low resolution modes which brings 6 more low resolutions.

6. nagromme, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015

nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

I've got a D700 Mac Pro, but portrait isn't available (even with command-option) unless I disable DP 1.2. Must be a problem with the Dell UP2414Q specifically (I'll test the P2415Q if I get one). Or, a problem with the dud early version of the UP2414Q--maybe fixed in later units. (I'll never know since Dell refuses to give me warranty support.)