Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
We know there will be some issues - with all 4K 60Hz SST monitors, they don't light up until the login screen, which means holding down the option key to boot into windows, for example, won't work until Apple fixes that problem. Also, OSX versions previous to Yosemite will have tearing down the right hand side of the screen. SST monitors also have some wake from sleep problems but not as profound as the MST monitors do.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I was finally able to order today. I just ordered a pair of the P2715Q. ETA is Dec. 8th. However, I'm hoping it might be a bit sooner than that.

Anyone considering these in the US can take advantage of some coupons...
http://www.extremetech.com/deals/19...ng-desktop-650-garming-action-camera-100-more

As usual, no love for us Canadians on these kinds of savings although I was able to negotiate Dell down about 10% on mine.

If someone would have told me a few weeks ago that you could get an SST IPS 4K display (at any size) with decent color gamut for $500 before the end of the year, I would have laughed. Amazing really.

psymac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Trying to order the Dell with those coupons mentioned, $FHX1NQQR7ZG17 and CTCBFMG8$BF92F. I can get the first but not the second. The first works on in the Dell Business site, and the second is not working at all.
Anyone else have better luck?

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Trying to order the Dell with those coupons mentioned, $FHX1NQQR7ZG17 and CTCBFMG8$BF92F. I can get the first but not the second. The first works on in the Dell Business site, and the second is not working at all.
Anyone else have better luck?

They may have caught onto this by now and disabled one... it's all over every tech site I follow.

There's also this coupon which is good for 20% off on the US site...
CLH1D227XJGR9L

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
just got one for 545 after tax, although i do kinda plan to get a 32inch 4k since they scale better for window and osx, for around 500 usd this is a insane price for ips.

but i guess buying this over the cinema 27 is the smarter choice? thoughts?

psymac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Ililkewhey, can you tell me what codes you used and how you applied them to get that discount? I can only get one of them to work.

Last edited:

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Ililkewhey, can you tell me what codes you used and how you applied them to get that discount? I can only get one of them to work.

sry the coupon expired around 11pm last night, alot of people called up dell to see if they can still get it to work and they won't let you apply both coupon anymore

4kcurious

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2014
Do you guys know if a late 2013 rMBP can run dual 4k displays at 60Hz if each one is SST? Would like a 2 x P2415Q setup. :cool:

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Do you guys know if a late 2013 rMBP can run dual 4k displays at 60Hz if each one is SST? Would like a 2 x P2415Q setup. :cool:

I know Apple says it can only support a single 4K display with MST. I have no idea if SST changes that, but my money is on NOT (Based on the fact that the nMP can only support one 4K display per TB bus) :)

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
If anyone gets an actual ship notification for one of these, please post it. My orders are each showing expected delivery dates of 12/5/2014.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
If anyone gets an actual ship notification for one of these, please post it. My orders are each showing expected delivery dates of 12/5/2014.

I got a call from Dell customer support today to confirm my shipping address, so I asked them what the ETA was... apparently they will ship in 4-5 business days. However, I don't know how he can know that as my order status still shows 12/8/2014.

say19

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2014
Has anyone managed to find an actual review (as distinct from preview/list of stats) for either of these monitors yet? I'm very keen to find out actually if they are as good as they seem to be.

Oh, and also speaking of stats - when they list the response times for the 24" and the 27", they give a "fast mode" number in brackets. What is this "fast mode" thing?

Last edited:

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Has anyone managed to find an actual review (as distinct from preview/list of stats) for either of these monitors yet?

I haven't seen a review yet. I went ahead with my purchase because Dell has a good extended holiday return policy (returnable up to 1/15/15 ) so I can try these out myself. I've evaluated several 4K monitors over the last couple of months and none of the reviews was really a substitute for trying them out myself, especially since the dealbreakers for each one were compatibility issues that many reviews didn't catch. However, assuming these ship soon, you'll hopefully see a few reviews here in the near future.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
dell has pretty good policy when it comes to monitors and laptops, hassle free return and they will even pay shipping, i thought about cancelling and wait for a 32inch, but what the heck osx scales much better than windows, plus to achieve a retina you'll need small screen with big resolution. so getting a 32inch is actually going on the opposite of the spectrum of retina

4kcurious

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2014
I know Apple says it can only support a single 4K display with MST. I have no idea if SST changes that, but my money is on NOT (Based on the fact that the nMP can only support one 4K display per TB bus) :)

Do I have this straight?

The rMBP has two thunderbolt 2 ports that share a single bus? And so that limits the total throughput to 20gb/sec? And each 4k@60Hz requires 16gb/sec regardless of MST vs SST, making it impossible to have dual 4k@60Hz monitors?

If so, what is the big deal about MST vs SST? What advantage do SST monitors confer?

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Do I have this straight?

The rMBP has two thunderbolt 2 ports that share a single bus? And so that limits the total throughput to 20gb/sec? And each 4k@60Hz requires 16gb/sec regardless of MST vs SST, making it impossible to have dual 4k@60Hz monitors?

If so, what is the big deal about MST vs SST? What advantage do SST monitors confer?

The rMBP has 2 ports and a single TB controller (single bus). Each port has a capacity of 20Gb/s. However, the TB controller only takes a single DP1.2 input from the GPU that can then be output on either of the two ports. This allows you to drive a 4K display using one port, and a storage device on the other. Or you can run two lesser displays (one on each port), or using MST, drive two lesser displays off a single port (using daisy chaining).

MST was designed to drive dual non-4K displays off a single DP1.2 connection by daisy-chainging the displays together. It effectively mux's two display signals onto a single DP1.2 connection.

When early 4K panels came on the scene, there was no single piece of silicon that had enough bandwidth to drive that many pixels at 60Hz, so early 4k panels utilized MST - treating each half of the panel like a separate display. This was a great workaround, but it's plagued with issues. For example, every panel can implement MST slightly differently requiring drivers on the Mac to support the different implementations. Plus MST can have issues with blanking one half the display or the other or waking from sleep. Not surprisingly, it's a kludge and to date, Apple officially only supports 4 different MST displays.

SST has only recently become possible as display silicon capable of driving a full 4K panel at 60Hz has become available. Now a single connection can pass the full DP1.2 signal necessary to drive the whole display at once, eliminating a lot of issues with MST and offering the promise (at least) of allowing for a standard display driver that can simply use any display's EDID info to drive it effectively. SST should no longer require explicit driver support and allow displays to be moved between systems freely without issues.

4kcurious

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2014
The rMBP has 2 ports and a single TB controller (single bus). Each port has a capacity of 20Gb/s. However, the TB controller only takes a single DP1.2 input from the GPU that can then be output on either of the two ports. This allows you to drive a 4K display using one port, and a storage device on the other. Or you can run two lesser displays (one on each port), or using MST, drive two lesser displays off a single port (using daisy chaining).

MST was designed to drive dual non-4K displays off a single DP1.2 connection by daisy-chainging the displays together. It effectively mux's two display signals onto a single DP1.2 connection.

When early 4K panels came on the scene, there was no single piece of silicon that had enough bandwidth to drive that many pixels at 60Hz, so early 4k panels utilized MST - treating each half of the panel like a separate display. This was a great workaround, but it's plagued with issues. For example, every panel can implement MST slightly differently requiring drivers on the Mac to support the different implementations. Plus MST can have issues with blanking one half the display or the other or waking from sleep. Not surprisingly, it's a kludge and to date, Apple officially only supports 4 different MST displays.

SST has only recently become possible as display silicon capable of driving a full 4K panel at 60Hz has become available. Now a single connection can pass the full DP1.2 signal necessary to drive the whole display at once, eliminating a lot of issues with the promise (at least) of allowing for a standard display driver that can simply use any display's EDID info to drive it effectively.

Thanks for that detailed explanation.

I have a late 2013 15" rMBP with discrete graphics. I assume both the integrated intel iris and nvidia gpu are hooked up to the TB controller, but only one is active at any given time? I had read that I can power 1 4k@60Hz off the TB bus and 1 4k@30Hz off the HDMI port. How is that achieved? Is the GPU hooked up to the HDMI port in a different manner than the DP1.2 connection to the TB controller?

Is the GPU capable of providing 2 DP1.2 connections? If so, why wouldn't Apple provide both to the TB controller?

In any case it sounds like I can buy 2 of these (or any 4k monitors regardless of MST, SST) and hook them up to my laptop, but only 1 of them will run at 60Hz, right?

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for that detailed explanation.

I have a late 2013 15" rMBP with discrete graphics. I assume both the integrated intel iris and nvidia gpu are hooked up to the TB controller, but only one is active at any given time? I had read that I can power 1 4k@60Hz off the TB bus and 1 4k@30Hz off the HDMI port. How is that achieved? Is the GPU hooked up to the HDMI port in a different manner than the DP1.2 connection to the TB controller?

Is the GPU capable of providing 2 DP1.2 connections? If so, why wouldn't Apple provide both to the TB controller?

In any case it sounds like I can buy 2 of these (or any 4k monitors regardless of MST, SST) and hook them up to my laptop, but only 1 of them will run at 60Hz, right?

I have no idea how the rMBP GPUs are configured so I can't help you with that, but I would believe Apple when they say you can drive one 4K@60Hz off the TB and one 4K@30Hz off HDMI... That's all you've got to work with. :)

say19

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2014
I've had a crazy morning of internet research changing my mind about monitors like twenty times until I eventually came back to the Dell 4k again. :eek:

I do have a question though. Not to get off topic, but (especially for the gamers among us) do you think G-sync is worth the money, even if it is at the expense of a lower resolution? I'm finding it very hard to decide which of 120Hz, 4k and g-sync are most valuable to me (unfortunately you can't have all three and even getting two is difficult).

octhegreat

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2014
I just installed a UP2414Q monitor flawlessly in under 15 minutes under Yosemite onto my wife’s loaded late 2013 15" Retina MacBookPro, which I then put in clamshell mode. To our aging eyes, the 24” display's crisp, clear fonts and gorgeous graphics seem virtually identical to the Retina display. My display came direct from Dell and Displayport 1.2 @ 60Hz now is the default setting. On my request, Dell matched the Amazon $736 price.
Did you enable MST mode to achieve 4K @ 60Hz?
Have you tried the default SST mode?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.