Dell P2715Q for 4K@60Hz on a 5,1 MacPro with RX480

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Caesar_091, May 2, 2017.

1. Caesar_091 macrumors regular

Caesar_091

I would like to update my current display setup (Apple Cinema HD Display 23" + DELL U2312HM 23" in pivot mode) installing a Dell P2715Q that will replace the Apple monitor (or maybe be installed as a third monitor... I still have to take a decision on this).

Are there any known issues with my setup?

Should I go for particular connection cable thinking about the 4K resolution/refresh rate or a "common" DPtoDP 1.2 cable will be good?

TIA

2. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

The Dell comes with a good DP-mDP cable, and the monitor has DP and mDP inputs.

I've found some cheap "DP 1.2" cables that in fact won't work, so get quality cables and/or a no-charge return guarantee.

Some cables are called "high bit rate" cables - those would be safer. e.g. https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-12-119-574

3. Caesar_091 thread starter macrumors regular

Caesar_091

Thanks for your suggestion; I'll try some DPtoDP1.2 cables I already have and then I'll look for some higher quality one ;)

4. jeeplj8 macrumors member

have you seen the p2715q in person? I did, and decided not to get one. It is not as sharp as the Dell u series. I ended up with an LG 4K which just looked better. However I find myself running it at 1440 (which is what the Apple thunderbolt display runs) because it just looks better. I just picked up the u2715h which is the ultrasharp QHD display and I think honestly just looks better in person.

5. sn1p3r845 macrumors regular

Make sure the adapter you get is an "active adapter"

6. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Which Dell "u" series? (The "p" series and "u" series are both in the Dell UltraSharp category.)

If a P2715Q didn't look "sharp" - I'd suspect scaling or other system issues on the display setup, not a fault on the P2715Q.

I've bought a couple of dozen P2715Q monitors, and have only seen two consistent problems.
    • People with older Apple laptops with integrated graphics could not drive them at 4K - fixed by buying newer Apple laptops
    • People with dual or triple monitor setups who couldn't stand the low-res secondary monitors after getting used to the P2715Q primary - fixed by buying more P2715Q monitors for secondary and tertiary screens.
    I think that the P2715Q is the best value on the market. Unless you need (and are willing to pay for) EIZO level color quality, I can't see spending more.

7. mattspace macrumors 6502

mattspace

the new UP3216Q looks like an interesting option, as compared to the 27"5k which Dell are still selling here. It's a few hundred cheaper, and looks to have slightly better colour performance and response times, and none of the dicking around that the dual cable display seems to require. Has anyone managed to make that (the 5k) a reliable turnkey display yet?

8. jeeplj8 macrumors member

Looking at the Dell Website - the p2715q is referred to as UltraHD, not ultrasharp. The P model designation puts in the Pro series, nu the U designation for the ultrasharp series. But the real tell is they do NOT give a color gaurantee on the p2715q.
    http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/210-adof?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=210-ADOF
    http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=hk&cs=hkbsd1&l=en&s=bsd&sku=210-adsz

It is a really nice panel, but it is not as color accurate as the U series, and depending on the video card, as to sharpness: It was on display running same card as a LG panel that was just as nice (for all I know they are actually the same panel under the bezel) at Micro Center. I put my 600 bones back in my pocket.

9. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

"UltraSharp" is a marketing name. "Premiere Color" is the gamut guarantee. "Ultra HD" is 4K.

Note for the P2715Q:

10. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

The U2715H isn't 4k though so you won't get that retina quality. I had the U series and sent it back immediately.

I can't speak to hooking it up to a MacPro but my Dell has been perfect for my MBP, would definitely buy it again.

11. Caesar_091 thread starter macrumors regular

Caesar_091

Thank you guys for your comments... very much appreciated ;)

12. Gazember macrumors member

100% color accuracy is rarely needed. If you absolutely need it you will have to drop some serious cash, not just for the monitor, but a calibrated graphics card (like the BMD cards) and a color calibrator to adjust for drift periodically.

13. Caesar_091 thread starter macrumors regular

Caesar_091

What about Samsung U28E590D? I pretty much cheaper... any experience with this model and RX480 on Mac Pros?