Dell P2715Q + Macbook Pro 13" 2015 Video Laggy

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rhwd2003, Jul 14, 2015.

1. rhwd2003 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I got the latest 2015 Macbook Pro 13" with force touch...etc (2.7 i5, 8gb ram, Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536MB graphics) and loving this monitor the Dell P2715Q. Very crisp and clear, but when I leave it as the default resolution everything is sooo small I can't see anything. So I turned it to scaled which says "looks like 2560 x 1440". Everything is perfect at this resolution but the problem I am having is that any videos I play are really glitchy like youtube or any embedded videos. Any thoughts on what I can do to not make it so glitchy on the videos?

2. OneZweiThree macrumors regular

Not sure, if this is important, but have you connected the display via thunderbolt or hdmi? Also in the settings of the display, there should be an option to turn on multi stream transport, when it is connected via thunderbolt.

3. campyguy macrumors 68030

Choose a different browser. OP, you didn't offer up which browser(s) you're using and having issues with. I have two of the same display.

I've noticed that a video will play nicely in Safari but not at all in Chrome - and also the other way around. The results depend, it seems, in how the video is encoded - those encoded in Google's VB9 codec look and work great in Chrome but I can't even get a high-res version above HD in Safari. I've also seen nice HD videos in Safari that hesitate or judder in Chrome. I'm alluding to up to 4k video resolution, too.

FWIW, I do not have Flash installed, opting to use Chrome for that nefarious software package. I have a very solid business-class internet pipe with noone else on my node.

4. rhwd2003 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys I am using Chrome. I will test it out in Safari. In regards to how I have it connected I have it connected via thunderbolt where are the settings about multi stream?

5. rhwd2003 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow that did the trick, I was trying to watch the 4k test videos of costa rica and such on youtube and it would barely even play in Chrome. Did full screen in Safari and absolutely perfect and BEAUTIFUL!!! This monitor is amazing.

6. OneZweiThree macrumors regular

May I ask, how your overall performance is? Are the animations and scrolling still smooth or do you see a lot of dropped frames? Does the MacBook run slower or noticeably hotter with the 4K Display connected? Also, do you use both Displays or is the macbook closed? And do you use the 1080p HiDPI setting or have you tried scaling it to 2540?

I am currently thinking about getting a 13" rMBP with a 4K monitor, but there isnt much information on the performance of such a setup out there. So any insight from you would be greatly appreciated.

7. meyer1131 macrumors regular

I am also interested! Looking into 4k for my rMBP 13" 16gb RAM

8. bobbie424242 macrumors member

I can somewhat answer your question. I'm using the P2415Q with a 2014 rMBP, the base model with only the intregrated Iris Pro, on OSX 10.10.4. All HiDpi scaled resolution other than 1080p incur a performance loss due to the burden put on the GPU. It is usable but not super pleasant. @1296p or 1440p HiDPi, Firefox scrolling becomes noticeably jerky (especially with smooth scrolling) but Safari scrolling suffer less it seems. It's butter smooth (as expected) @ 1080p HiDpi. Thunderbird displays corrupted graphics at non-1080p scaled resolutions. As for animations I cannot really comment as I almost disabled them all and not using Launchpad / Mission control / the Dock at all (ubar user here). Long story short: I use it at 1080p.
    Maybe it improved on El Capitan but I do not expect miracles...