Dell P4317Q

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by h9826790, May 21, 2016.

1. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

That would be an amazing experience with Synergy software installed.

Basically when you get to the edge of a "screen", Synergy hands off the keyboard and mouse control to the next computer, regardless of operating system. So the correct computer is always being controlled, based off of the location of your mouse pointer.

3. hunter24x7 macrumors newbie

Display works GREAT on a Mid-2015 Macbook Pro. Beautiful!
    BUT...volume control does not work at all. No driver available from Dell. Sad but true.
    You should plan to use other external speakers or your internal Macbook Pro speakers along with this monitor. The monitor sound works just fine, but there's no control over the volume except for front buttons on the monitor.

4. murquhart macrumors newbie

murquhart

Those who purchased: I've noticed in the ads for this monitor they show 4 displays running at same time. Wonder if you've found someway to make that work with native Mac capabilities... i.e, spaces, etc. Thanks in advance.

5. Filin, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017

Filin Contributor

Filin

I read that this monitor has extremely poor image quality...
    Be careful deciding to buy it

6. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Links?

7. Filin Contributor

Filin

8. soamz macrumors 6502a

Im looking to purchase the same.
    Anyone who wants to give more review about it ?

9. h9826790 thread starter macrumors 604

h9826790

For Mac Pro, make 4 HDMI output is quite easy.

From Dell webpage, that 4x 1080P is a build in function inside the monitor. As long as you fill all 4 HDMI input with your Mac, that function should be avail natively.

It should be relatively straight forward with dual GPU. Single GPU may be a bit hard to achieve 4x HDMI (depends on the card, of course).

10. soamz macrumors 6502a

I just have one MacBook pro. I need to work it's output on this Dell, without losing the retina look and feel as I do photo video editing. So is it good or shall I look for something else ?

11. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

we just got a bunch of these at my job.. beautiful displays.. im setting some up for upper management with macs.. Ill let you know my review in a bout a week...

12. louist macrumors newbie

Also interested in this monitor. Just curious to know how the install/setup went with these monitors at work... compatible with MAC? also, did you find the brightness below 100% causes noticeable PWM flicker?

13. rodwarren macrumors newbie

I just bought one and tried it with both my iMac and MacBook Pro (both new systems running Sierra 10.12.6) and... FAIL. It is blurry and for sure will cause eye strain. It's going back to Dell. Dell does not make Mac drivers for this monitor (and I think for any of their other monitors for that matter). Their tech agent said that 'plug & play' is the only option when connecting to a Mac. The Dell software to arrange the monitor into a 4-in-1 works only with Windows and is not downloadable for Mac. I"m sure the resolution would be very clear when connected to a Windows system with the drivers from Dell, but for Mac, does not work unfortunately. It is a 4K monitor but will only provide a max of 2K with with a Mac system (verified with both my iMac & MacBook Pro). A few more calls to Apple and to Dell tech support confirmed I'm out of luck. Calling the Dell return line.. :(
    >>>> Anyone reading this post, if you are aware of large sized monitors that have Mac drivers I would appreciate a reply.

14. louist macrumors newbie

Have a look at the LG 43UD79 monitor, cheaper than DELL... looks ok, but may have PWM issues even at full brightness...

15. eyeangle macrumors member

eyeangle

I'm looking at a 42 inch 4K monitor as well, actually I just posted over in the 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' forum which one I should buy between the Viewsonic 4K 42 inch or the LG 4K 42 inch.

Here:
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/viewsonic-vx4380-4k-or-lg-43ud79-b.2060601/

I hadn't considered the Dell P4317Q. Will look into it.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 8, 2017 ---
    Check out this awesome review about it:

16. rodwarren macrumors newbie

Louist: THANKS! :) I just checked online regarding the LG 43UD79 you mentioned & I called their sales team, looks like it will work in 4K resolution with a Mac, the rep specifically told me that I would need to upgrade the standard USB C cable; the one that comes with the unit and the ones typically purchased via Apple would not be sufficient. He said I need one that has "DisplayPort Alternate Mode" and then I would be able to get a 4K signal on the LG from my MacBook Pro. Thanks a lot for the response, this monitor looks like it will be great. Ordering it today.
    PS: Dealing with Dell was a nightmare. Their sales & service are all outsourced to overseas, I found the reps terribly misinformed and there were constant communication problems trying to understand them and vice-versa. After talking with 6 different Dell employees about the problems I had with the Dell P4317Q, I got constant conflicting information and was simply passed off from one person to another; it was a disaster. When I called LG, the very first guy I spoke with had perfect English and he was extremely proficient with his knowledge of the monitor and all the related technicalities of connecting it to a Mac system.

17. nigelbb macrumors 6502a

Take a look at the Philips BDM435OUC 43" screen. I have the previous model that is a 40" & couldn't be happier. Enormous amounts of screen real estate. Decent but not cot crazy high DPI. Plus it is a bargain. My previous 30" monitor that it replaced (HP LP3065) cost more than double.