Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnstr_trd_sd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
san diego, ca.
I just bought 2 of these to set up on one of my macs. Are these monitor really bad quality or what? I calibrated both with the same specs and still, discoloration and color differences. I've tried everything and still no dice.

What's up with these things? Does anyone else have the same problems or similar.:confused:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I had some of those several years ago. They were pretty nice when new but didn't hold out for very long (maybe 2 or 3 years) before going all blurry and color-challenged. They aren't still selling those new, are they?

mnstr_trd_sd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
san diego, ca.
I don't think so, I got these used from a company liquidating everything. i paid $20 each, now I'm thinking i wasn't such a good idea. i thought dual 19"s would be better than my 17"s.

The main problem is discoloration on the left edge on both monitors like blue shading, only slight though, i'm a stickler.

also when using one of the mac black and white backgrounds, one monitor looks like there's a hint of blue and other looks sepia. and that's calibrated and tweaked for about an hour and a half.

i'm running them at 1280x1024 at 85hz.

any suggestions?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Honestly, I think I would try to sell or give the tubes to someone who isn't as picky about color.

There are shops that will get inside and tweak CRTs, but it may cost more than you paid for the screens (the repair service we use wants about $60 to tune up a 19" but maybe you can find a better deal in your area) and it's not a sure thing that the results will be to your liking or last very long.

mnstr_trd_sd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
san diego, ca.
thanks, but i don't think they're worth investing any more money on, i guess they'll just have to hold me over untill i get two apple 20 inchers. that's just my luck though:p

Stratification

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
Spokane, WA
Ok, probably a stupid suggestion but did you try a degauss on the monitors? Quite possibly something you've already tried, but I didn't see it mentioned.

mnstr_trd_sd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
san diego, ca.
yeah, I tried it, but it didn't do anything. In fact I even increased the refresh rate to 85 from to 75 and all that did was reduce flicker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.