Dell S2309W for $150 free ship for MACPRO hit/skip

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by FSBW21086, Jun 23, 2009.

1. FSBW21086 macrumors member

Currently using single 23 inch ACD and would love some more real estate. I have the other DVI right now going to Samsung 40 inch HDTV but its too large to use as a second monitor. (works great for 1080p movies + boxee tho!)

Saw dell is offering this cheap monitor for $150 today through Wednesday only with free shipping. Figured I can't go wrong for more real estate right? or wrong?

I own a photography + graphic design business so color is important but I figured all color critical work is done on the apple display anyway so the other monitor would be used primarily for screen real estate only and am not expecting anything great from a TN panel.

Any other options for such cheap price?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I use this monitor. It's nice looking and has functioned very well. I bought it from Dell, and it came with a dead pixel, but other than that, it's a nice screen.

May I ask why the 40 inch was too big for you? I have been thinking of moving my 42 inch HDTV into my room to use as a monitor - should I think twice about this?

4. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

It all depends on the distance.

I had 37-inch monitor in my office and if I was not on the opposite wall, I would have asked my office to remove the $10,000+ monitor out of my office.

I use a 32-inch monitor at home and that still needs to be far away so I have another desk behind my workspace desk to allow this.

5. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I currently have 2 of these monitors hooked up to my Mac Pro, they are sweet monitors, I love them, I wouldn't ever go back to my 20" ACDs, great colors, so bright I had to turn the brightness down to 50%, overall I'd definitely recommend them to you! In fact I may buy a 3rd one right now. :D

6. FSBW21086 thread starter macrumors member

gonna go for it for $150 bucks!

the problem with the hdtv is its just to large to be sitting directly in front of. Good for a distance but way to big and its actually behind my desk because of its size. Samsung makes some great HDTVs though

7. FSBW21086 thread starter macrumors member

or for $130 bucks more could get

2209WA 22-inch...

sure does look nicer

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sadly the price has gone up on it.

9. FSBW21086 thread starter macrumors member

ended up with a 2209WA for under $250 shipped. (free 3-5 day + 10% off coupon) ill let everyone know how it turns out

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

So you went with a smaller monitor for $100 more?

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It does have the e-IPS panel though over TN. The OP did mention their photography work and the importance of color.

12. FSBW21086 thread starter macrumors member

correct. And they were sold out of the $150 TN display.

13. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

I've got a 24" dell 96% gammut and it looks fantastic, I'd love an apple but for the price.....

14. FSBW21086 thread starter macrumors member

for everyones info I ordered this a few weeks ago and its not shipping untill the end of this month. I have seen online a few other orders that arn't shipping untill the middle of august

15. Igantius macrumors 65816

Some people have been reported that theirs have been pushed back till mid-September....

16. FSBW21086 thread starter macrumors member

Good news on this! got an email at 1 AM Saturday night reporting the monitor had been shipped. Should be here this week! I go to track it but dell must reuse an old fedex tracking number that hasnt updated yet because it points to a package delivered toa different state last December.

17. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

TV's do not offer the native resolution of a computer monitor. If you use this as your primary display you'll certainly be disappointed. Even at a good distance you likely won't be able to read text. However, as a secondary display (or) for family viewing of [whatever] at a normal TV viewing distance, you'll be pleased. I use my G5 in this manner. Just know that your resolution will be set at 720 x * if you have a 720P TV or likely 1024 for the 1080 models. I have a 1080P TV but it still shows only 720 x * resolution. If that is vague to you perhaps this reference will help - my MBP 15" is at a 1440 x 900 resolution. General rule of thumb is the bigger the display, the higher the resolution. ie. Apple 30 inch = 2560 x 1600.

18. FSBW21086 thread starter macrumors member

received the monitor yesterday. I like how adjustable the stand is. The screen seems just as bright if not brighter then my 23 ACD. Color seems good so far also. Just not as pretty as the triple the cost aluminum monitor its sitting next to.

the only picture i took

[​IMG]