Dell S2309W or Ultra Sharp 2208WFP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matthewr, Apr 16, 2009.

1. matthewr macrumors member

I was hoping to get some advice here. I have a unibody MacBook and am thinking about getting a larger screen for desktop use. I use it mostly for web/e-mail and casual photo editing, and looking at the occasional radiographic study. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money (ideally in the $200-$250 range), and have narrowed it down to either the Dell S2309W which is currently on sale for $209 or the Ultra Sharp 2208WFP which is on sale for $250. The Ultra Sharp is a bit more expensive, and is not quite as wide screen, but does have nice added features like USB ports, more adjustable stand, etc. From most people's posts here, it sounds like the Ultra-sharp is a significantly better monitor. I'm willing to give up some pixel width and spend a bit more, if it means getting a better monitor. Any advice would be welcome.

2. rtheb macrumors 6502

The Dell 2208WFP has already been discussed here with pros and cons.

More people are interested in the Dell SP2309W because of the higher resolution of 2048 x 1152 rather than the 1920 x 1080 of the Dell S2309W even though it costs $100.00 more.

And IMHO the best one...

Dell 2209WA which uses the new E-IPS panel as opposed to the others which use TN panels.

3. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Yeah go with the 2209wa, or if you can spare the cash the Picture quality on the 2408WFP (better than most IPS screens for non printwork) is fantastic especially for vivid photos and watching HD.

4. matthewr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice so far - unfortunately it doesn't look like the SP2309W or the 2209WA are available in Canada yet (at least not on the Dell website). Does anyone have experience with the plain old S2309W? Anyone know what the lag time between Dell products being introduced in the States and Canada is?

5. rtheb macrumors 6502

Dell Canada has the Dell 2209WA and the Dell SP2309W in the Canada > Small & Medium Business > Accessories > Monitors & Monitor Accessories > Monitors > Flat Panel LCD Monitors.

For some reason only sold through the Small & Medium Business section both in the USA and Canada.

Check out [H]ard Forum for advise on how they used Dell Chat for discounted price. Worked in the USA so may work in Canada. The [H]ard Forum thread is big, but info about Canadian Purchases are there as well.

BTW Apparently once a Canadian always a Canadian since yesterday!:D

6. matthewr thread starter macrumors member

Funny - I had looked on the Canadian Dell Small Business Site, after reading about those monitors being in a similar spot on the US website, but hadn't found them. Thanks for the link.

7. spacemanps macrumors regular

spacemanps

you can get the sp2308w from ehsop.. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Dell/SP2309WOB/... wellll when they have it, its priced at 300... but i got mine a month ago and the price was 280, then jumped to 300, now sold out.. sorry, check that sight now and then. legit place

oh and ps.... i LOVE the SP2309w.. its really nice man, i keep my screen in the preset game mode, the colors are the nicest there...

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I purchased an S2309W on eBay two days ago. Somehow (not sure if it was the overlooked 'P' character) I missed this 2048 x 1180 display from Dell.

It will attach to 2.26GHz Mini with 4GB RAM. I use it for iPhone Development and quite a few hours of internet browsing and excel usage is common.

Would you recommend I resell the S2309W and purchase the SP2309W for $80 more?

Maybe someone could tell me about dot-pitch as I need fonts to be displayed clearly. Thanks!