Dell S2409W with MB or MBP -- Display Problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by darshan, Dec 5, 2008.

1. darshan macrumors member

2. sebast1anc macrumors member

I dont' have one of the new MBs or MBPs but I just recently bought an external monitor for my previous generation MBP, and this is what I learned. If you mirror the two displays, it won't look good on the external monitor because the mb or mbp display doesn't support that high of a resolution. for example, the mbp supports 1440x900, and my external monitor supports up to 1680x1050. so when you mirror the displays they are both set to 1440x900 which looks bad on the external.

To get the full resolution of the external monitor you have to not mirror the displays or use the MB or MBP in clamshell mode. Just close the lid and use the mouse or keyboard to wake it back up after it fully sleeps.

3. darshan thread starter macrumors member

so it cant be used for an extended desktop purposes?

to preserve the natural look of it you must use either/or display (is that what you mean by clamshell)

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

5. darshan thread starter macrumors member

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

7. foodle macrumors 6502

You can and should use if for extended desktop. If you mirror then the external display looks bad because the MB LCD is a lower resolution than the external display, so the external display must stretch the image.

So for the external display to run at its full and native resolution you can either:
    1) Run the MB LCD and external concurrently using extended desktop
    2) Run only the external display at its full resolution

8. darshan thread starter macrumors member

i think im just confused as to what mirror term really means

does this mean

1) you have the screen split in to two (i.e the dock is split in to two (lets use that as an example)

or

2) does it mean when you have one screen (main macbook screen) consisting of all your lets say ur dock icons n the other one u can simply drag out the files to n hence serves as an extension to desktop realestate

9. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Number 2.

I've got this monitor and i'm having the flickering problems when I get out from sleep mode. Its just a case of taking out the display port cable and putting it back in. Apart from that - its a great monitor. See my videos on my youtube channel for review on the monitor.

10. darshan thread starter macrumors member

are you "akheirax" on you tube?

if not post a link to your videos

also dun u think its annoying? to put it in n out... is that software related (n can be fixed by perhaps future updates or more on the hardware side)

11. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

If you take a look at my post carefully, you will realise I have the link in my sig.

It is annoying sometimes i.e. when im in a hurry and the screen starts messing up. Although, considering I got it at a bargain price - i'm not bothered :D. I do believe it can be fixed by software updates.

12. darshan thread starter macrumors member

13. foodle macrumors 6502

There are two ways to setup a machine that has two monitors:
    1) Mirror
    2) Extended desktop

In mirroring, the MB LCD and external both display the same image.

In extended desktop, the MB LCD and external together form one giant desktop with each monitor displaying a different portion of the desktop. The dock and menu bar will reside on one of the monitors and the other will just be a blank screen.

14. foodle macrumors 6502

Neither. Mirroring displays the exact same image on both the MB LCD and external monitor. It does not give you any more screen space than just the MB LCD.

15. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Yep. Mirroring isn't really that useful unless you're giving a presentation.