Dell Sale: U2211H and U2711

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by briantology, Feb 8, 2011.

1. briantology macrumors 6502

Just a little heads up for you monitor hunters, Dell is presently having a 48 hour sale in which the U2211H is $199 and the U2711 is $899. Free shipping as well.

2. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

2410 Dell

Just to state my experience is that Dell's anti glare coating on these monitors is similar to the 2410. I find it fine for day to day work but would never do my personal photo editing on it.

I envy every Mac display with glass because my display feels like it has mug on it.

For excel and word it is fine but I wish I would have spent $100 more on the refurb 24" Apple display. Just a heads up on buyer remorse.

Although I may use my Dell as a second display in the future or as a cable or AppleTV screen since it has hdmi.

3. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Some of the earlier U2410s had issues with the matte coating. In later revisions this had definitely been solved. Personally, me and my office/clients can't say enough good things about Dells UltraSharp line (and how well Dell backs them).

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I had the 2410 swore by it and while I will never put her down, I bought a 27 ACD and am was kicking myself for being a matte loyalist for so long. The clarity is outstanding and while I thought glare would be an issue, it is not.

5. dimme macrumors 65816

I comes down to personal taste. I been using Photoshop at work since V2.5. We we used CRT monitors we were always careful about the environment and even what color shirts we wore. The glare for the glass also caused eye strain. When we got our first Eizo LCD we all rejoiced. So here I am a few years later and work on Eizo and Dell displays. I am very happy with the quality of the matte screens. For me glossy screens are a distraction and the accuracy is just not there.

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Agree fully, I'm not a media editor so true color accuracy and absolute no glare are not requirements for me.

7. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Glossy v. matte really is a personal decision... any potential buyer should check out both and test them before making a purchase. I returned a 27" iMac for a Mac Mini + U2211H because I couldn't stand the glossy (I would just see my reflection instead of the LCD if the screen was anything but white).

Also, regarding the sale... U2211H sale price is the same as what the refurbs go for on the Dell Outlet (which is where I got mine, same 3 year advance replacement warranty and everything), the catch being that they're not always in stock at the Outlet.