Dell SP2309W (Monitor)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nope7308, Jan 4, 2009.

1. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Panel Size:
    23"

Optimal Resolution:
    Higher than FULL HD 2048 X 1152 at 60 Hz

Dynamic Contrast Ratio:
    80,000:1 (max)

Brightness:
    300 cd/m2 (typical)

Response Time:
    2 ms (typical)

Viewing Angle:
    160° / 170° (typical)

Color Support:
    16.7 million colors

Pixel Pitch:
    0.249mm

----

I'm looking for a cost-effective alternative to the Apple 24" Cinema Display, and this Dell appears to fit the bill. I have a few questions, though, so any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated...

- What are the real-life viewing angles on this display (I don't trust Dell's specs)? Are all TN panels made the same? I can't seem to find a VA panel display for <$500 CAD.
    - Will the nVidia 9400M (Alu MB) drive this display at its native resolution?
    - Does the 80,000:1 DCR actually mean anything, or is this yet another embellished/made-up spec?
    - Would YOU buy it? Any other suggestions? :D

The monitor will be used for regular computing, HD movies, and light photo-editing. I prefer a glossy display and the Dell 2408 is out of my price range. Thanks for the help.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Before your heard gets bitten off by people who think glossy displays are trash for photo-editing of any kind, I'll just say this: stray away from tiny displays with huge resolution. Things will look tiny and quality will suck. I recommend a nice 24" Dell for maybe $400-$500. The dynamic contrast ratio does sound fishy, especially at that high ratio. For regular computing, it will do. But IMHO, that resolution scares me. You probably need dual-link DVI to output such a high resolution, which would make it not worth it. If you have anything other than the new MacBooks/Pro or the older MBPs, it will probably not output that high resolution. I know my MacBook (polycarbonate) has a maximum of 1920x1200.

3. ToddW macrumors 6502a

you know dell makes good monitors that are pretty cost effective. we use them to test out our display port adaptors. the stand its on is pretty neat as well lots of easy ways to adjust it.

4. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Already posted there... way to read.

I started a separate thread in the 'Buying' section so people can see the stated specs and give me their unbiased opinion.

To the other (helpful) poster, it appears that this screen is single DVI. I must admit that I'm completely lost when it comes to this monitor stuff, so I could be mistaken. What other Dell monitors do you recommend? Like I said before, the 2408 Ultrasharp is out of my price-range. Thanks again!

5. ExcelonGT macrumors regular

I just hooked mine up and man does it look INCREDIBLE!

PROS: 2048 x 1152, Integrated Webcam (its ok), slick touch interface for menu buttons. good On-screen menu UI. VERY bright (i believe 80,000:1 contrast). Best Black's ive ever seen on an LCD, HDMI input

CONS: Glossy bezel and base stand (finger print magnet). limited height adjustment, no component or displayport input, the glossy coating is pretty bad in well-lit environments. But, the high contrast ratio does a good job of ofsetting the glare.

Overall, for $349 its a damn good option for those considering a 24" cinima display.

6. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Good to know... one more question though.

What are the true viewing angles like? I'm sure the horizontal viewing angles are acceptable, but what about the vertical viewing angles?

7. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

New Dell 2409 seems pretty good-think its 1900x1080 with no camera.
    But its only 279 on dell outlet. Has dvi and hdmi inputs.

8. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

How is the resolution? Seems odd. Stuff too small?

9. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

10. ExcelonGT macrumors regular

To be perfectly honest, the SP2309w is a TN display. Ive heard the viewing angles are pretty crappy, and that seems to be true of the SP2309w. it's achillis heel is the lack of hight adjustable stand. I have mine stacked up on some old books to get it dead center of my sitting position. Thats a small price to pay for awesome display. I can spend 12 hours at a time in front of it and there is virtually no eyestrain. Picture quality-wise, I'd definitely say its very similiar to the Apple 24" cinema display. But doesnt cost $899 :rolleyes: