Dell spanks MBP again, raw performance wise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Butthead, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/09/04/dell.precision.m6300/

Who knows when or if Apple will be able to put a C2D Extreme chip into a MBP, like the 17in, w/LED backlighting...maybe...sooooooon!

Apple's first again with the iMac upgrades (Santa Rosa, mild speed bump, shipping with 667Mhz RAM when they could have started with 800Mhz from the get go since prices were already falling on the faster RAM at the moment the SR MBP went on sale), but a true laggard in the laptop arena :(. No SSD option, no 7.2k 200GB Hitachi HD option, no BR optical drive option...the list goes on.

I wouldn't expect a 512MB NV Quadro, or 256MB Quadro FX 1600M in a MBP, but something higher-end than what they currently offer (I guess it's that age old heat issues problem with the thinner MBP frame) should be coming soooon, yes?

The 2.8Ghz is overclockable, but you'd never expect Apple to have a user adjustable CPU, not even in a pro model. I suspect, do to heat issues, the next MBP 17in or full line mini-update in September?, will use the next speed bumped standard Merom 2.6Ghz CPU. MBP seriously needs to keep up with the competition, now that Intel is the only supplier, and all the other manufacturers get their chance to obtain those at the same time. Given Apple got the 2.8Ghz Extreme 1st for the iMac, why can't they come out with the latest and greatest on their laptops...they always trail the competition in raw performance power :(.

2. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

3. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

troll

This is total FUD, flamebait, trolling, etc.

A big fat laptop with a removable desktop graphics card, and over-clocking? Why would anyone (excepting the fifty or so young guys in that particular market segment), care?

Anyone who knew anything at all about their marketing and support strategies would know that this kind of uber-configurable, "sans support," hardware spec will never come from Apple, (despite all the "soooon?"'s you peppered your remarks with.)

If you don't know that, then you are ignorant and deserve to be ignored, if you do know that, then you are a troll and deserve to be ignored.

Take your pick. :)

4. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

That thing is so thick, bulky and not as appealing as a MBP.

I'm so tempted to get an SSD but holy crap, I could almost get a refurbished MB for the same price :eek: Hopefully it goes down by the beginning of next year :D:apple:

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

When Apple starts making laptop computers two times as thick as their current models, they can use Core 2 Extreme processors safely. There might even be a market for them but typical Mac users won't be buying them because typical Mac users won't carry the extra weight, the extra batteries, and they certainly wouldn't open one to use it in public.

You might as well ask Apple to create one of those 19 inch LCD "portables" that require AC power because the demands on the battery are too high.

6. FireArse macrumors 6502a

First thoughts...

...good God that's Fugly.

F

7. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Well, I must say that the Hitachi 7200rpm 200GB HD rocks, I put one in my MacBook, and what a difference!

8. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

HEY !!! jus look at that **** it so crap!! how can u even compare it to a masterpiece like a macbook pro?? apple got everythin right with the MBP.. its a complete package.. unlike the dell. if u need a comp for hardcore gamin .. better get a desktop.. u r better off with it!! :apple:

9. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

10. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

that thing looks older than my old Insperion 6000 i gave to my gf....

wouldnt dare take that out in class. hehe

11. chem macrumors regular

Go to Dell's website for that product. (the link in the OP's link). Customize to get the machine up to the base specs of the 2.4 GHz MBP. That is, 2.4 GHz CPU, 2 GB ram, 160 GB HD, 802.11n wireless, etc.

The new price of the Dell is over $3,000. Congrats, you have a more expensive machine in a crappier form factor.

12. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Is that even a 'laptop' or 'notebook'??

More like desktop, and TEXTbook. There are always going to be compromises, and I would choose the MBP over the Dell anyday.

13. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

That "laptop" looks to be about the same thickness as the iMac.

14. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Let's just call it a desktop replacement :D:apple:

15. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Oh and one word posts will be deleted by the mods so try your best not to do that :)

16. navigator macrumors newbie

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Same here, there is no way I would trade my SR MacBook Pro for that hunk of ****. :rolleyes: :cool: :apple:

18. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

the thread creator just go owned =)

yeah
    it's too bulky for my liking....who cares if Dell releases such ugly computer...Macbook Pro rules at it is...
    beautiful design, great specs for everyday need etc..

19. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Take it to class? You'd break your back carrying it!

20. arcobb macrumors regular

Hmm ... I went to the dell website and tried to configure it with OS X ... they didn't have that option. I guess I'm forced to stick with a MBP.

* Heavy sarcasm

21. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I really couldn't care less about 'power', I'd never buy a computer that ugly.