Dell sucks. (rant)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ape0r, May 19, 2008.

1. Ape0r macrumors newbie

So, I bought a Macbook Pro two weeks ago - my very first Mac. Loving the computer.

At the same time that I bought the computer, I bought a Dell SP2208WFP monitor. Once calibrated, its just beautiful. One small issue - the right 60% or so of the bottom row of pixels is ALL stuck white.

After an hour with Dell chat support, they dispatch a new panel. It arrived today, and I was rather upset to discover the EXACT SAME ISSUE ON THE NEW PANEL!

Now, at this point, you're obviously thinking "He got a bad video card." This is what I was thinking too, so I plugged the Mac into my old 1905FP monitor. No line. Okay... maybe its only at 1650x1080 that the issue will show?

So, I take the original monitor and plug it into my Linux media server. I am riveted to STILL see the line - so its not the computer after all.

Nice quality Dell. Same issue on two panels. Great. I tried both DVI cables that were included with the monitors, as well as one that I've had laying around the apartment - same result with all cables.

I'm thinking I'll return both monitors. I like the glossy screen a whole lot, just wish I had gotten a decent quality panel!

Suggestions for other 22" or 24" glossy screens to look at?

Tom

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

That sucks for sure, but sometimes these things happen. I have two Dell displays, a 2005FPW and a 2007FPW, both have been fantastic. I would say, try a third one, if its still busted, maybe look at getting something else.

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sorry, very emotional about this...

Please don't rant here....

Rant here:

http://www.ihatedell.net

You can also get advice from previous and current Dell employees how to solve problems. I found them to be very friendly and helpful.

For great and inexpensive panels, I go with HP.

I understand NEC has nice quality panels.