Dell TB3 NVMe 512GB SSD - my impressions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vip007, Sep 21, 2018.

1. vip007, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018

vip007 macrumors newbie

A few weeks ago I purchased a new Dell Thunderbolt 3 NVMe SSD drive, SD1-T0500, for my 2017 iMac with 1TB fusion drive. The idea was to have a fast(er) boot drive from this external storage unit without having to open up my iMac and install a larger internal NVMe.

The SSD is supposed to be quite speedy, 2,800MB/s read and around 1,000MBs for write, according to some tests and specs. It is based on KXG50ZNV512G NVMe TOSHIBA 512GB. I formatted the drive as APFS and did a new OS install, High Sierra 10.13.6.

Here are my first observations:
    • Blackmagic 5TB speed test reports no more than 500MBs write and about 2350MBs read. So about half as fast as advertised write speeds. I tired different stress settings in Blackmagic and all result in similar performance. Is this reduced performance possibly related to APFS?
    • The drive is NOISY! It has an internal fan that comes on every few seconds and it is quite loud. One can easily hear it in a silent room. There does not seem to be any way to control the fan.
    • I experienced several kernel panics, presumably caused by this drive (NVMe-related). Eventually, I turned off hard disk sleep in Energy Saver settings and that seems to have fixed the problem.
    Overall, I am fairly happy with the drive (it is amazingly small and fast), but the noise slightly annoys me.

I was wondering if anyone else has this drive and what your own experience may be?

2. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

3. vip007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this pointer!

The cable I used is the one that came with the drive, so I presume it should be TB3. Firmware update is something to look into... once I have Windows installed.

4. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

Well, in my humble opinion, that is disappointing, and false advertising. You do not get what you supposedly pay for.

5. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

6. Rockadile macrumors 6502

Maybe some kind of external bandwidth / overhead limit.
    If you use encryption, that will also lower speeds.

7. irshaidt macrumors newbie

irshaidt

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 603

Mr. Retrofire