Dell tells customer to buy a Mac

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MagicWok, Jan 17, 2008.

1. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/01/16/dell_mac_good_option/

lol :D

2. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

forgive me for stating the obvious but to me, the way that response is worded it doesn't look like the native language of the person writing it was english?

3. WriterAtTheSea macrumors newbie

WriterAtTheSea

Sony Tech recommends a MAC

Yeah, you are NOT alone. I returned to using MACS last year, and this really takes the cake. I had an HP Desktop, and a Sony laptop. While having yet "another" issue with my Sony, I naturally called tech support (I should mention that the Sony was less than 7 months old). While on the phone for over an hour trying to figure out the issue, the tech support admitted that while he works for Sony, he personally only owns Macs, after I told him, I used to own a Mac, and still shake my head in utter frustration that I ever switched over to a stupid PC. He laughed and said, "Okay Miss Writer At The Sea, this is off the record...I ONLY own Macs, and would never buy a PC. Windows alone is a breeding ground for viruses." Hahaha! I howled. Within the next couple of months I literally threw my HP out and bought a 21 inch screen IMAC, and 2 months later my MACBOOK. Never been happier!!!

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Cool. Unfortunately those calls are almost always recorded so that ever so helpful tech support rep probably no longer works there. Pity, though, as ironically that's probably the most helpful advice he gave to anyone as part of that job!

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

You're right...

"XPS systems of Dell" isn't typically the way it's worded.

6. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Really? Could just be a typo, no? Bad typing make me sound like not English.

Either way, good advice.

7. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Dell could spin this in a positive way.

At least they are giving their customers the whole picture and allowing them to make a informed decision based on their personal needs.

On the other hand, was that the sound of heads rolling I just heard? :D

8. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

9. WriterAtTheSea macrumors newbie

WriterAtTheSea

Well, it isn't like I did not already know it. After spending about 8 years on PC's, and dealing with the insanity of Windows, freeze ups, viruses, etc., it was only a question of time before I returned to using Macs. While they do cost a bit more, what comfort there is in knowing we are FREE :D from all that craziness. You are probably right about the guy though. Guaranteed he most likely lost his job. :confused:

10. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

What, you think it looks... Frainch? Reads like English to me.

My guess is that you meant to write "American English" above.

You prefer the crystal clear lingo of c u l8r man? ;)

Anyway it WAS crystal clear that Mac was among the options recommended. I hope the Dell rep owned a high end Mac at home that could be bartered for what to live on after losing that job!

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Who the heck cares? Where I work, we constantly refer our customers to "the competition", and at times I've even called them up to see if they have something in stock. Helping the customer find what he needs is called good customer service.

12. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well, you probably only refer your customers to the competition if you don't carry what they want, not as your first response to an open question. And I doubt you'd take them quietly aside and say "To be honest, I would never buy from my shop... I ONLY buy exclusively from our competitor!"

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Is that a problem for you?

14. WriterAtTheSea macrumors newbie

WriterAtTheSea

Not in my case

That perhaps is what should be done, but not in my case. The Sony tech very clearly laughed and said, "Well, I don't even own a PC. At home, I only use Macs." Hahaha! It really was tremendous! :D

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Sounds like a pretty bad PR debacle... I hope the guy who wrote that in the email didn't get in trouble when it got publicized. It would be a shame.

I started considering that after I got in trouble back when I worked at CompUSA a whiiiile back for posting a funny misprint on the internet and it reached Apple corporate.

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Probably someone here in the US that Dell is about to lay off...

17. crazy legs macrumors member

crazy legs