Dell to UTA: Our computers, erm, aren't meant for doing math

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by mkrishnan, Jun 29, 2010.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/technology/29dell.html?hpw

Interesting story, not so much on the inferiority of Dell products, but on a corporate cover-up and the consequences of it becoming public.

It also offers an interesting alternative to the market-driven kind of theory (e.g., Dell failed at delivering "cool" in the way that Apple does) about why Dell has declined in the last decade.

2. Bkxmnr macrumors regular

Bkxmnr

I really don't know anything about Dell, other than I hate their computers, but did this happen under Michael Dell's watch? Or had he left by then?

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

based on the the article it did not happen under his watch and he took back over in 2008 so he went about trying to fix the problems and start building better computers. Or at least that is what I took from the article

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

This plagued everyone at that time.

5. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

They were designed like crap then and they still are designed the same now. I always advise everyone against buying Dell laptops and desktops because they're junk. Their monitors, on the other hand are awesome, but from what I gather they're not really designed or made by Dell, only marketed as such.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Eh, I have a cheap-o Dell Inspiron laptop, and it runs great.

Granted it's not my main computer, and I only used it for law school exams (and soon-to-be the bar exam) and occasional DVD-watching when I'm not at the desk.

7. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

This is just now popping up? I remember the optiplex recall when it happened back then, Dell hardly covered it up, in fact they came to my house and swapped out the parts affected. The problem if I recall was a faulty batch of capacitors came out of China. It was a big problem but Dell did handle the problem and fix peoples computers.

This had nothing to do with Dell's design or their quality control. Their OEM manufacturer was sold bad raw low-level components that were manufactured improperly. It wouldn't have shown up right away since the problem happened as the capacitors aged. It could have happened to any electronics manufacturer regardless of their QC processes in place.

8. 7thMac macrumors 6502

You're entitled to your opinion. We have many Latitude laptops where I work and they have proven to be exceptionally reliable over the years. Though I don't love their screens, the Latitudes are built very well.

9. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Correct -- the same component flaws have been widely theorized to be at the root of a lot of the G3-G4 Mac failures, too...

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Ha, you think this is bad.

I know no one will probably believe what I'm about to say since this is the internet and all but a co-worker of mine worked for Dell for YEARS and explained some of their dirtiness...

..Such as the fact that while he worked there if you called in and applied for credit your social, address, phone number, etc was taken by Dell...normal for a credit check right?

Whats NOT normal was this information was NOT stored in a computer but instead on paper ledgers in books and these ledgers had no accountability. Dell hired temps to do this work and my co-worker said a temp would quit and take the book with them.

He worked there from 1997 - 2003 so hopefully something has changed since then but the issue was brought up in the "Fireside chats with Michael Dell" and I guess no one seemed to care.

The rest of the dirtiness didn't effect the customer, but ended up in Dell getting scammed by customers. Dell didn't keep accurate records of certain things and customers were ordering free battery replacements for recalled/defective batteries and found a loop hole to getting them in bulk and ended up selling them on eBay.

11. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

My opinion is based on my experience. I used to fix laptops so I took many apart. Dell and Sony had some of the worst designs ever. Especially Sony but Dell was "special" too. At several jobs I had Dell laptops too. They died on me more than once and I used them as desktops about 99.9% of the time.

Sure, some people get lucky. But in general they're cheap crap that they are.

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Nothing seems too outlandish here, I can believe it, every big corporation has some kind of illegal activity occurring secretly by employees.