Dell U2212HM screen and cheap USB webcam question

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jollino, Oct 28, 2012.

1. jollino macrumors 6502

jollino

Hello all,
    some may recognize me from the iMac subforum. I'm one of those waiting for the new iMac, only to get fairly disappointed. After a few days of thinking, I decided I'm going to for the i7 mini for several reasons (which I may enumerate if you're interested, but I don't want to bore you all out!)

I just have a couple of questions:
    1. I need to buy a screen, and I'm going for 21-22 inches at this stage. I read that the Dell Ultrasharp U2212HM is a pretty decent display, in fact I read somewhere that it has the same panel as the 21.5-inch 2011 iMac. Not sure if it's true, but reviews seem quite favorable especially in terms of color consistency.
    Does anyone have any first-hand experience with it? Also, just of curiosity, does the pivot (portrait) mode of that screen work on OS X?

2. Back in my non-iMac day (pre-2006), using cheap webcams was a chore as you had to rely on reverse-engineered drivers such as macam. It triggered a lot of cursing because you always got inconsistent performance or they'd stop working for no apparent reason, making a quick "let's fire up Skype" into a long stream of creative cursing.
    Do current webcam "just work" or do you need to fiddle with them? I'm referring to the €20-30 stuff here. Those webcams normally also have a microphone, so that would also fix the lack of an internal one on the Mini.

Thanks in advance!

2. triweaver2 macrumors newbie

+1 on both questions
    Cathy

3. jollino thread starter macrumors 6502

jollino

Quick and straight to the point, thanks. :)

(Of course if anyone has other recommendations on other monitors... I'm all ears!)