Dell U2410 / Asus PA246Q - compatible with Macbook or macmini?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RedCloud75013, Mar 19, 2012.

1. RedCloud75013 macrumors member

Hi there,

I am looking for a decent quality IPS display for a dual display set up. I narrowed down the list of displays that have features - and prices - that I could go for:
    - Dell Ultrasharp U2410
    - Asus PA246Q

Does anyone know whether any of these two will work with a DVI equiped 2008 macbook pro? The monitors both have DVI inputs; however, I've read some posts here and there of mac users experiencing issues with these. Unfortunately, these posts were quite old and I wonder whether issues are still current with these monitors.

let me know if you have any feedback - or if there is any other 23 or 24i IPS monitor that I should consider and that will work with a mac setup...

thanks!

2. OddyOh, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

OddyOh macrumors regular

OddyOh

Hi there. I have a Dell U2410 hooked up to my Mac Mini Server. I'm using a "Mini DisplayPort"-to-"Full Size DisplayPort" cable though, not DVI. This monitor has tons of input options...at one point I had my Mac, PC, PS3, PS2, and netbook all hooked up at once. :cool:

For what it's worth, I'm constantly switching inputs back and forth between PC (DVI) and Mac (DisplayPort), and once in a while the Mac Mini stops sending a video signal (or maybe the monitor stops seeing it), and I have to unplug and re-plug the DisplayPort connection, that usually fixes it. :confused:

Anyway, I love the monitor itself. Although it's damn bright, I have the brightness set to 0 when I'm working in Finder and apps. If I'm watching a movie or tv show, then turn it up to 50 or so.

I've had this Dell for coming up on two years (April 2010), no issues. Some people may not like the touch-buttons (as opposed to actual buttons)...I've gotten used to them.

Anyway, not saying you should buy one or the other, I hope you find something you like and has no issues for you! :)

P.S. Oh it also does Picture-in-Picture, but only with one Digital source and one Analog source...so like, DVI and Composite works, or HDMI and Component works, but HDMI and DVI doesn't work.

3. ricardoflamingo macrumors member

I am also considering a u2410. Any recommendations dor a mdp to dp cable? Also hdmi. Low cost that works is important. Thanks

4. nkawal macrumors regular

I also use a U2410 on my 2011 Mac Mini via HDMI to DVI dongle on Mac Mini to DVI on U2410. Works fantastic. I tried direct HDMI to HDMI and it showed fuzzy.

5. RedCloud75013 thread starter macrumors member

thank you for all the responses - much appreciated!

my macbook pro only has DVI - no minidisplay port. Is there a reason to worry about any video signal?
    I'm certainly leaning towards the dell monitor...