Dell U2412M vs. TBD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dlim, Jan 20, 2012.

1. dlim macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2012
    I've been looking for a new/larger monitor to use with my MBA. Currently using a 23" HP2311x that I like, but been contemplating the 27" TBD.

Dell has a deal today (don't know how good of a deal it is) for the U2412M + canon digi cam for $369.99 + tax. Not sure if that's a good deal or not for the monitor.

I like the higher resolution of the TBD + all the port options. I don't think the glossy display would be an issue for me. The way my desk is set up I don't get any direct sunlight, just my room light. And my friend who has the TBD and 15" MBP said that it's essentially the same material as the MBP, which I used to have, and said that if I wasn't bothered by the MBP display I should be fine with the TBD display.

The dell is more than half the price cheaper and IPS, but from what I read some people are saying the color options are off and it needs to be calibrated?

Any feedback would be awesome! Thought I know not many people may have experiences with both.
  2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Just to give a small amount of feedback, though I have no experience with that particular Dell monitor:

If you're doing color critical work, you're going to need to calibrate whatever monitor you buy, period. You can get a passible hardware calibrator for a relatively reasonable price now.

If, however, you're just picky about color, rather than relying on it for work, you should still calibrate any screen, but the built-in software calibration in the MacOS (or 3rd party software) is good enough, so long as you do the full calibration and are careful. That's an opinion based on a wide range of monitors at work, from 27" Apple IPS panels to cheap, five-year-old ViewSonic screens.

Apple ships the OS with profiles for its displays, so out of the box and uncalibrated they're going to look better than a 3rd party monitor, but after calibration there shouldn't be much difference, and there's really no excuse to not spend the five minutes it takes to do the advanced calibration. Windows buries its calibration stuff deeper, and I don't think it works nearly as well, which could be a factor for people complaining about calibration on that screen (unless you're talking about Mac users complaining).

If it were me, I'd get the TBD--I love the size and it's a no-brainer just for the port additions to a MBA (the hardware ethernet in particular). But, if 24" is big enough for you it's just a matter of whether additional ports and an extra 3" is worth the price difference.
  3. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Dec 13, 2011
    Sacramento, CA
    I have the Dell U2412M hooked up to my Mini and I love it. I would definitely repurchase it if I had the need. After a few days on my MBA, I'll return to the Mini/Dell and be inspired at how great it looks. You won't be disappointed.
  4. dlim thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Do you guys think there will be an update to the TBD? I don't see how they can really update things like displays and routers annually like they do their other stuff.
  5. KylePowers macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2011
    I think there will be an update, yes... but not any time soon. The TBD just came out in September and before that it was July of '10. Granted, prior to '08, they had pretty regular-ish yearly updates, but I don't see what they could possibly add to a TBD anytime soon.

You might see USB 3.0 and maybe a different panel size or something, but I doubt we'd see that until 4th quarter this year, if at all. Just speculating of course.
  6. dlim thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'd actually like a smaller panel for cheaper. Trying to justify spending $1k on a monitor :[ I'm used to buying $150 23" monitors haha