Dell U2711 or Apple 24" refurb or wait...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by frankhirata, Mar 18, 2010.

1. frankhirata macrumors newbie

Help me out. The Dell U2711 is on sale today only for $799(CAN) and I'm not sure if I should jump the gun and purchase it.

I was planning on getting a refurb Apple LED display for $699 but for 100$ extra this is very tempting.

What do you guys think? Is the Dell comparable quality wise (I do graphic design work).

Or I can wait until Apple eventually releases a new monitor but who knows when that'll be...

Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get the Dell. It has got some great reviews and uses the same panel as 27" iMac so it's absolutely gorgeous. No issues have been reported so far

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Do you prefer the matte screen over the glossy?
    Would the extra inputs be useful?

If so it's probably worth the extra $100 to go with the Dell.

Bear in mind that depending on the type of Mac you're using it with you might have to spring for a mini displayport adapter as well, so you'd have to factor that into the total cost for the Dell.

4. frankhirata thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm on a 2009 15" MacBook Pro and I really don't mind the glossy screen on it. I'm facing a window in my office so there is no glare from the sun.
    I don't necessarily need the extra inputs and found a cheaper place to buy a display port to mini display port cable thanks to this forum.

5. tchockey macrumors member

hi
    where is it on sale, how much US. On dell its 1099.99
    thanks

6. mfram macrumors 65816

I bought the Dell U2711. It's a beautiful IPS panel. The colors look much better compared to the TN panel I replaced. It has a matte screen finish, and the monitor has the rather business-like pure black motif. But performance-wise, I'm very happy. It takes about 10-20 seconds after it first wakes up out of sleep to get to full brightness, but it's not a huge issue. Probably because it's using a CCFL backlight instead of an LED backlight. It also features a flash card reader and USB hub which are very convenient.

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

If you like 24" 16:10 ratio then consider the Dell U2410. It goes for about the same price as a 'refurb' 24" AC but it is not glossy and has a much wide wider color gamut

8. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Go for dell as it has better reviews ... as someone else said above, it has the same screen as the new imacs...so its pretty awesome...

9. alejandro1938 macrumors newbie

alejandro1938

hi there. All the reviews from the dell are very positive and it seems like a great deal at that price. Where are they offering it? Could you post/send a link please?

edit: Ah, found it; seems its only from dell canada. Crap, I was already pulling out my card to buy one :(
    If someone finds this deal stateside let me know!

10. frankhirata thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup it's only in Canada and only today. Doesn't help that macrumors has the 27" Apple LED display on the front page...

11. alejandro1938 macrumors newbie

alejandro1938

Why is only canada getting this deal? Do you think it might make its way stateside?

12. foshizzle macrumors regular

I have the U2410 and love it. I have a 2009 MBP and bought a mini DP to full size DP cable from monoprice.com to avoid using any adapters and it's wonderful. It really makes the small size of mini DP worth it not having a huge DVI or even HDMI cable hanging off my computer.

The one thing the 2711 doesn't do that I wish it did is rotate between landscape/portrait. I program and I like how I can rotate my monitor (hardware and software-wise) so that i can see a large amount of code at once.

The picture quality is nice as well. Go for the Dell.

13. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

14. nigameash macrumors 6502

Unless you want to wait and see if apple releases something new, get the dell ;)

15. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

16. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Wider is not always better. Sure the colors are more vivid, but they are not accurate. Especially for graphics design work.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was contemplating the same thing but the price when I looked for it was well over a grand and I was able to get the 24" ACD for a good deal since my wife works at a college.

I also seriously wondered how much I'd benefit from the larger display. Its not sour grapes but for I do, I don't see the advantage of the larger display out weighing the increased cost of the unit.

18. Msbeezy macrumors member

I have a 24" ACD and thought I'd move up to the Dell U2711 and with the sale price I got it at $899...(missed the $799 sale) I thought I take the plunge.
    With all the hype and extra real estate and higher resolution, and no sign of Apple's 27" ACD I ordered it and received it today.

Results ?

VERY DISAPPOINTING !

Regardless of how I set the multitude of settings the Apple just blows it away.I could get a sense of the comparo quality immediately when I was unpacking it and setting it up (Dell). We who have purchased Apple products know the extremes they go to in packaging and then there's the build and materials quality. Just the quality of the power cord shows evidence of the difference...the Apple is a gem compared to a raw stone the Dell is.
    And currently I have them side by side..the glass front adds immensely to the color depth and clarity of the ACD. The whites are WHITE where the best you can get from the Dell is bluish to greenish..anything in between except white..the Apple is MUCH brighter too..and another disappointment..the physical screen size is almost identical..granted the Dell is marginally longer (it's actually 16:9...not 16:10 as mentioned above) where the Apple is 16:10 (I think) so the 27" increase in size is almost unnoticeable. Case heights are identical..Dell is a little longer...25.5 to 22.5

I also dislike the "texture" of the matte screen (Dell) that I just keep looking at rather than through. It also occasionally shows it slowish refresh rate when playing HD (60)

Bottom line..the Dell is going back...the Apple will remain until a 27" ACD comes out or I get a 27" imac as a monitor just for the extra size and finer res.
    24" ACD was $699 refurb CDN
    Apple smokes the Dell hands down. Period

That's my take

19. endophilin macrumors newbie

I have a DELL U2410 that I purchased recently (in March 2010). The current crop is free from the problems that had plagued the previous generation
    monitors. It is an excellent monitor (16:10) and more importantly has a matte display. I initially had thought of the Apple 24 inch but given its limitations in reference to connectivity to "older" macs, I settled for the DELL. I am happy with all aspects and would always recommend a DELL IPS monitor over Apple.

The factors that governed my decision are as follows:
    a) Matte display
    b) Wide Gamut
    c) Flexibility of attaching other devices
    d) Price
    e) Better Warranty

20. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Wide gamut = inaccurate colors. If that concerns you.

21. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

can you give a link for this?

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get the Dell without a doubt.

Calibration does wonders.

23. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

That's true, it's just annoying to have to set the correct color profile for every single application. For ones that don't, it'll be off.

24. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

25. Msbeezy macrumors member

Received my 27" iMac (replacement for the U2711 Dell) and what an amazing unit. The picture is fantastic. Today I purchase Avatar and watched a sample of the blu-ray version on it. Just blew me away.
    I ordered a refurb i7 with vesa mounting plate and wall plate from Monoprice as well a male to male mini-display from Griffen and connect it to my 2.93 early macpro.
    Installed an ssd into it also with ease..almost exceeds the performance of the macpro that has 3 intel x25m in raid and 16G ram :( / :)