Dell U2713H vs. Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hog Milanese, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Hog Milanese macrumors regular

Hog Milanese

How do these two monitors compare? Anyone out there with experience with the Dell?

I'm also wondering how the USB3.0 connectivity would work with a MacBook Air (for example)? Like, if you wanted to have a USB3.0 hard drive always connected to the monitor, what cables would you be plugging into the MacBook each time you "docked" at home/work with this monitor?

Link to Dell: http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/monitors/en/dell_ultrasharp_u2713h_specs.pdf

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Using my ATD with my rMBP, there is only the one dual connector cable between them. The cable has a Thunderbolt connector for multiplexing video, audio, ethernet, and any devices I have connected to the ATD via FW, USB, or Thunderbolt.

The other connector on the dual cable is a magsafe for charging my rMBP. You use an adaptor to go from magsafe to magsafe2.

I usually have my USB keyboard, a USB hub, a modem, ethernet cable, and my LaCie 2Big6TB disk array connected to the ATD.

3. Hog Milanese thread starter macrumors regular

Hog Milanese

Right, I get how the Thunderbolt Display works via Thunderbolt, but I'm wondering how many (and which) connectors from this Dell display would have to be hooked up to the MacBook every time I use/dock it, in order for an external hard drive or other peripherals to "talk" with the MacBook through the display? :confused:

4. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

I have the u2713H & the u2713HM and the usb 3.0 flat up doesn't work on either displays with my early '13 rMBP.... works at usb 2.0 speed though, also the audio out from mDP quits working when the display sleeps which is a minor nuisance (i use screensavers instead) and um you'd plug in 3 cables - your power cable to your macbook, the mini displayport cable, and a usb cable to dell's hub (i prefer to just use my own hub) so basically one more cable than a thunderbolt display, it's not that tragic... i've owned the thunderbolt displays as well and i think having a light AG coating is massive improvement over the TBD's massive reflections... the height adjustment, swivel, rotation etc of dell's stand is excellent too. i like my u2713h without a doubt, may buy yet another one some day.

5. Hog Milanese thread starter macrumors regular

Hog Milanese

Thanks for the info!

So do you actually realize USB3.0 speeds with, say, an external hard drive through this setup? (plugged into the Dell)

I have a corporate discount with Dell which is why I'm considering this strongly. It's such a great deal.

6. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

No, just at usb 2.0 speeds, and I have no idea why... seems there are a lot of complaints about it... it doesn't bother me though, the back ports are very difficult to access and the side ports look kind of bad imo with wires stick out of the side of your monitor, so I use my own usb 3.0 hub

7. Xerotech macrumors 6502

TBD is more expensive in comparison to the other monitors. I would make your decision after the release of a refreshed TBD. If you had the money you should buy things that are of the same brand. It looks, well, nicer.

8. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

They look fine to me, here are mine...

[​IMG]

and btw I also own the TBDs

[​IMG]

Except on the Dells I can switch inputs to my GTX 680 SLI gaming rig hidden in my closet ;)

9. Xerotech macrumors 6502

@Cosmic I stand corrected. :)
    That is quite a setup you've got there.

Also, for additional information Dell has excellent warranty. They are the type of company that sends techs to your house or a refurb unit/new upgraded unit if that model no longer exists. :)

10. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

Yah, they do have decent warranty support.. my first one had a grey mark on the screen (looked like a speck of dust under the antiglare coating) and they crosss shipped/overnighted me a new display, I woke up with it on my doorstep the next morning.

I'm really excited for the rMBP to support Thunderbolt 2.0, which will have displayport 1.2 and then I'll be able to daisy chain my two displays like the TBDs are.

I am eager to see what they do with the TBD update though, that tempered glass with reflections really gotta go like the new iMac, which is a ton better... and I really hope they add hotplugging support for Windows so you can daisychain displays/devices and suspend properly with them. It should be a massive update if they do it, hopefully with the new mac pro.

11. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

May I ask how you hooked it up? I've read Mavericks (mac mini late 2012) doesn't let you connect 2560x1440 on the dell u2713h unless you do some hack?

12. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

umm my guess is it looks really bad without the color profile is all it's talking about, because some reason it's forcing RGB mode instead of YCbCR, so you download the display override, and just stick it in /System/Library/Displays/Overrides and reboot, then you're good forever... it's really nothing to worry about!

I have a 2012 mac mini, but it's my server and is headless so I've never even tried it with the display, I use my two U2713H displays w/ my rMBP every day though... I'm really curious if they can daisy chain w/ Thunderbolt 2 now that it uses displayport 1.2a as opposed to 1.1, but my rMBP is early '13 so I have no confirmation on that... I use both thunderbolt ports w/ mine

13. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

I know it might be a hassle but could you hook up the mini to the u2713h? It'd be the exact same config as I'm considering... Really want to know if it runs perfect on 2560x1440 using the mini dP port...

14. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

It kind of is a hassle, because my mini is my server in my closet hooked up to a raid array and my longest mDP cable is like 2m long... plus i just profoundly know it's going to work, it's 100% illogical for it not to work... i can say it works w/ my '11 macbook air w/ hd 3000, as well as my rMBP w/ hd4000 (and 650m) - why would it not work with my mac mini w/ hd 4000?

the only 'hack' is the color profile, and you have to stick a file in a display overrides folder or it will look awful... that's it.

15. audiokid macrumors newbie

Any suggestion where to get the 'hack'?

16. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

http://embdev.net/topic/284710#3027030

that's the link with a script ran through terminal that creates an override for any monitor, puts it in your home directory... then stick the file in /System/Library/Displays/Overrides and reboot

alternatively just download premade for the u2713h from the original post

http://embdev.net/topic/284710#3016475