Dell U2713HM VS ATD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lgwells1, Feb 23, 2013.

1. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

Currently I have a 2011 MBP for personal use and my work computer is a 08 MBP Uni with mini display port. I know my 08 is useless with the ATD, which really sucks. I want more screen real-estate at home, for work and personal use. Work provided me with a ****** Lenovo 20 monitor that I cannot get to calibrate to match either of my macs, and the color difference is agonizing.

Will I have the same profile issues with the Dell that I am having now? Are there any hardware adapters out there that would allow a mini display port to run on a thunder bolt monitor? Or should I just find a old ACD 27 and hope it works in my 2011 MBP.

2. gnopx macrumors newbie

For photography and all color critical application, forget those twos and get dell u2711

3. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

To my knowledge:

-I don't know, that depends.
    -No, you would need the thunderbolt chipset itself to do that which no one sells in an adaptor.
    -The ACD that used MDP should be fine with your mac.

That being said, are you sure your '11 MBP doesn't have Thunderbolt? I'm pretty sure it should have one...

4. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

5. iamsen47 macrumors regular

The 2713H is the replacement for the 2711. The HM is the 'budget' version.
    The AG coating is supposedly not as aggressive.

6. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

I had a Dell 2713HM and it had a nice picture quality, but I got a little tired of the menu system, which stinks if you're using more than one Mac/PC, etc. because there is no dedicated input button.

I also felt that after a week or two of using it that the picture quality didn't "pop" and look like an expensive monitor. I returned it and bought a TBD display an instantly noted that the picture quality was better. (This was on a 2012 mini and a 2012 MBP).

The Dell does offer a nice price and multiple inputs compared to the TBD, and its matte finish which is far better if you are in a sunny room with a window behind you.

7. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

Looks like I will be going with the 27 cinema display, it works with Thunderbolt models right?

8. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

Yes, it does.

9. brentsg macrumors 68040

I'm not sure what you mean by POP, but it sounds like you appreciate the look of a glossy display.

10. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

The colors on the TBD seem brighter and overall a better picture, IMO. It might just be the glossy screen, although the reflection from my windows are annoying. The matte finish (and the price) are the only things I liked about the Dell.

11. brentsg macrumors 68040

Glossy displays tend to give colors a brighter "wet paint" look. It's one of the reasons that many people doing accurate color work will steer clear.

I own both of these displays, that's why I commented as I did. Both are really nice displays but the gloss makes the Apple unit more eye catching in that regard.