Dell U3415W w/ rMBP 15" 2016

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nloding, Nov 16, 2016.

1. nloding macrumors newbie

I'm one of those who is utterly confused with the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 "revolution." I don't mind that they did it, I just wish the information out there was more straightforward. I've been researching ultrawide displays, and the Dell U3415W seems like the best bang for my buck, based on what I'll be using it for. It has HDMI, DP, and mDP ports. Connecting it to my late-2013 13" rMBP is straight-forward ...

... how would I connect it via USB-C? Is HDMI my best option, or do I need something other than the USB-C to Digital AV adapter? Perhaps the USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter?

I should add that I've Googling this for a couple days and have found no information ...

2. emailnotebox macrumors regular

emailnotebox

I cant remember exactly where, but I did read somewhere in this forum who solved this problem (U3415W) by taking hdmi + adapter. He also found out that MiniDisplay or Display + adapter wouldnt work.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

USB-C to Displayport might be your best bet:

https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_displayport_cable

The USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter only works for actual Thunderbolt 2 devices, not standard Displayport cables.

4. dougellison macrumors newbie

I have mine connected via HDMI from the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. Works great - apart from the fact the monitor goes black for 2-3 seconds every minute or two. I had this problem with a PC as well into the same damn monitor though.