Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I just ordered a Dell-U3818DW for my 5,1 to be driven by a Radeon HD-7970.
I suspect, there is no 3rd party tool to control display brightness etc. from the Mac?

Any other tips apart from getting a minDP to DP cable?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I just ordered a Dell-U3818DW for my 5,1 to be driven by a Radeon HD-7970.
I suspect, there is no 3rd party tool to control display brightness etc. from the Mac?

Any other tips apart from getting a minDP to DP cable?

Depends on how you want to do it.

Real control of the monitor brightness is much harder, it’s possible to do that via some extra command line software (if your monitor support it).

https://github.com/kfix/ddcctl

Alter the MacOS output to make the screen "looks" dimmer is very easy, plenty of free software in AppStore can do it. e.g.

https://itunes.apple.com/hk/app/brightness-slider/id456624497?l=en&mt=12

But since the real LED back light brightness never change, the contrast will be affected when you “dim” the screen (especially in very dark environment).

The original package of the 7970 doesn’t include a mDP to DP adaptor? I have this one in my 7950's package. If you have this adaptor, then you don't need a new cable (the DP-DP cable is already included in the Dell-U3818DW's package).
IMG_3743.jpg
IMG_3745.jpg

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I have the system running under High Sierra. It detects the correct resolution, but I see sporadic crashing.
I cannot recover from sleep without restarting.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
[doublepost=1517455134][/doublepost]Working fine under Windows. So it does not appear to be a hardware issue.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I have the system running under High Sierra. It detects the correct resolution, but I see sporadic crashing.
I cannot recover from sleep without restarting.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
[doublepost=1517455134][/doublepost]Working fine under Windows. So it does not appear to be a hardware issue.

Is your 7970 flashed?

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
I'm using this tool for brightness controll on my Hackintosh, works perfectly fine with my Dell display. An additinal Clover patch maps my Apple keyboard's function keys accordingly, but I don't think there's nice way to do this on a genuine Mac.

Regarding your instabilities: Did you flash it yourself? The macOS issues sound more like a dying card to me, but I'd expect the same behavior in Windows.
If you flashed it yourself I'd try running the card in pure PC/VBIOS mode and see if the crashs still happen.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
It was also now crashing with the 27" Cinema. After much tearing out of hair, it looks like corruption of one of the boot disks with High Sierra Beta (I have High Sierra Releasee, Beta, and Sierra plus Windows 10.) Why that would hard kill the system booted from other disks with just a click sound is beyond me I have never seen that before. I wiped that beta disk and the system appears to be working correctly with the Cinema display. Will test more before trying the new monitor again.
10 hours into debugging this.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Just to complete the thread and iterate the agony. I got things working.
- The initial issue corrupted a second boot drive with the High Sierra beta which kept taking all systems down.
- After I reinitialized this volume (beta, not backed up - this will be painful), my Sierra account worked fine and i was able to boot into High Sierra and log into my Admin account (always have second account!) But my personal account on High Sierra blitzed out. After too many hours of poking around, I decided that there was something corrupted I would not find.
- I duplicated my account from Sierra essentially replacing the High Sierra account, rebooted and let it upgrade.

Everything is working. Very suspect are HDMI audio kext and SoundFlower. Might try them with a trash account - tomorrow.

For now, I love this screen!

Last edited:

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
BTW, unlike the Apple Cinema display, this display does not show the first part of the boot using mDP. My card has been Apple EFI flashed. It does show with HDMI, but that limits the display resolution and refresh.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
I'm using this tool for brightness controll on my Hackintosh, works perfectly fine with my Dell display. An additinal Clover patch maps my Apple keyboard's function keys accordingly, but I don't think there's nice way to do this on a genuine Mac.
I have the NativeDisplayBrightness app working on my genuine Mac mini 2014 with Dell P2715Q.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

Thanks for sharing about this tool.

I also confirm it works on the cMP with my CHG90. Also, by using Karabiner to make the F1 and F2 always work as standard F1 and F2. This will allow the Apple keyboard able to control the monitor brightness identical to the native way without disturbing the remaining special features keys' functions.

https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/
Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 04.46.49.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 04.46.34.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.